And we're off. 2B here we come!

Day three of the hunt
Not a lot happened today. We all saw some good bucks but no one wanted to send led yet. I had seen three good ones and in the three was one worth taking but he never presented a shot and disappeared into the pinons. Did I say that stuff is thick! That giant in CO was still hanging in the same old place too. He showed no signs of moving. We were really hoping someone would fill a tag today so we only had one deer a day to pack but no such luck.

Day four of the hunt
With three tags to fill we are getting a bit nervous on A) everyone filling tags and B) someone getting a dandy. Off we go to the area Aaron put his buck to rest. After hiking an hour in the dark and glassing for the first 30 minutes of light we decide to split up and hike down to two lower glassing points so if we do see a buck we might be able to get a shot. Not ten minutes in to the hike wifey and I get a call from KP that he spots a buck and was not sure if he wanted to take it or not. We head is direction and locate the buck feeding away with no concern of anything around him. This was the first time that we had come across a buck that was not on high alert. After getting Mrs. Baerman set up for a shot we quickly realize there are two bucks together. KP decides he wants to take the second buck after seeing he was VERY wide and heavy! One, two, three and the air was filled with gun powder. You would think we were in the middle of war. I see Mrs. Baermans buck is hit and moving downhill. KP's buck followed and after a couple running shots he disappeared. With the other buck still moving KP spined him to put it down before running too far. We both took off up the hill and over a small ridge in the direction the big buck took off. As we crested that ridge I couldn't believe how many deer were on the other side and half were running this way and that. KP got one last chance at the beast but could not connect. Aaron, "I don't know what we would do without you", is on a ridge from above watching the whole thing and walks right up to the downed buck. One more tag filled and one happy girly in camp.
New Mexico 09 008.jpg
CIMG0008.jpg
DSC_2099.jpg

After getting her buck back to camp KP decides it's the guns fault and not the shooters for missing that giant earlier in the day. We sight in some rifles and there is still an hour of light left. With two tags to fill and basically only one day left we head off for a road hunt. Everyone told us not to work too hard for our deer which is what we had done to this point so it's time to take it easy for an afternoon. Off we go and does are everywhere. I had just bought a video camera and haven't taken the time to pull it out to get any footage so we pull up on a doe and I test it out. Just as I turn the thing on everyone yells THERES A SHOOTER, IT'S A FOUR POINT BUCK!!!!! Having buck fever and a tag to fill I'm frantically yelling, where where where. Straight ahead crossing the road was an average buck that looked to be a giant in both my eyes and KP's. Without hesitation I grab the nearest shells, by the way I shoot a 30-06 and the nearest shells were 270's, and I jump out of the truck. HMMMmmmm, one problem, the truck is not in park! As quick as I jump out the truck takes off down the road. Thank god Aaron has long arms and is in the front seat. As i was trying to run back up to the truck and jump in to hit the brakes Aaron was able to hit them with his hands and put the truck in park. I did mention that I had buck fever right. Isn't that a symptom of something more justifiable? IDIOT! Thankfully everything ended up alright. KP jumps out of the truck once it's parked and starts calmly walking to the buck. I couldn't believe it. I was ready to shoot. He kindly reminded me that he spotted the buck so he had first opportunity. That finally calmed me down knowing that we were so close there was no way he was going to miss this one. Crack, the shot was good and after a 30 yd dash it was expired. A perfect heart shot. Nice shot KP.
I'll post some pics of his buck as soon as I get them.

Day five - last day of the hunt
It's the last day and everyone but me are tagged out. Deer are moving through pretty well at this time so we head off to the same spot where Mrs. Baerman got her buck. Knowing that there would be a fresh group of deer in the area we were confident of seeing some bucks in there. Right at first light wifey spots a buck directly below us. I take a quick look and being that it's the last day I did not want to pass up the opportunity. We were 330 yds at this point and buck fever sets in again. Wow, do they sell meds for this desease? KP calms me down again and encourages me to get closer. I try to set up where we are at but didn't want to risk missing the buck and he seemed content watching us so I scooted down the hillside to get within 230 yds. I set up and fire a warning shot. All good hunters do this right? Three more shots as he was running as I hear the last one connect. Whap! Good thing too becasue it was the last opening. I march down while the others stay high and direct me to he was last seen. Buck down! My biggest to date and all of us tagged out. What a trip. And that first warning shot. It wasn't a complete miss. It grazed his right antler near the base.
New Mexico 09 011.jpg
New Mexico 09 012.jpg
DSC_2104.jpg

The way home
When I get more time I'll get to where we met up with Moosie and IB in Salt Lake where Moosie gave us all instructions on how to make Loin Cloths and stage names such as Man Ram. Maybe I'll leave this one to Moosie to tell.

New Mexico 09 016.jpg

Off we go and does are everywhere. I had just bought a video camera and haven't taken the time to pull it out to get any footage so we pull up on a doe and I test it out. Just as I turn the thing on everyone yells THERES A SHOOTER, IT'S A FOUR POINT BUCK!!!!! Having buck fever and a tag to fill I'm frantically yelling, where where where. Straight ahead crossing the road was an average buck that looked to be a giant in both my eyes and KP's. Without hesitation I grab the nearest shells, by the way I shoot a 30-06 and the nearest shells were 270's, and I jump out of the truck. HMMMmmmm, one problem, the truck is not in park! As quick as I jump out the truck takes off down the road. Thank god Aaron has long arms and is in the front seat. As i was trying to run back up to the truck and jump in to hit the brakes Aaron was able to hit them with his hands and put the truck in park. I did mention that I had buck fever right. Isn't that a symptom of something more justifiable? IDIOT! Thankfully everything ended up alright.

This was the best laugh I had in a long time...everytime you dropped the "F" bomb I think laughed a little Harder!! I thought about not telling you that those were 270 shells, but then what kind of friend would I be?? It sure was fun watching somebody else struggle with buck fever.

He kindly reminded me that he spotted the buck so he had first opportunity. That finally calmed me down knowing that we were so close there was no way he was going to miss this one.

Dude I was there...I never saw the calming down part. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back