PEAX Equipment

altitude

I think that a lot of it has to do with your age and physical condition, I am 62, and live at 850', I camp at 6,500', and hunt from 6000' to 8000'. after 2 or 3 days, I adjust to it somewhat, but even by the end of my 2 week trip, I still can't even begin to do what I do at home, and I workout every other day 10 months out of the year to try and stay in decent shape.
steep hill or packing my Elk out still kicks my butt.

as far as Head Aches, If you guys start taking 1 aspirin a day, starting about 3 to 4 weeks before your trip, it will eliminate the Head Aches you get from the attitude and lack of oxygen, at-least it works for me,

Kevin

I basically live at 500-1,000ft of elevation. My base camp for elk hunting is right around 9400ft. We spend one night in a hotel that is around 4500ft then head straight to the top of the mesa. I have never had a problem with altitude but I also workout (crossfit) five times a week all year round so I think that is probably why. Be in the best shape possible.....my dad takes a supplement called "Aclimate" and he swears by it, but he also makes me carry some of his gear :)

Altitude is something to definitely consider. When we were younger we used to drive all night, get to the mountains in the am then start hiking. A change of 600 ft to 9000 in probably 15 hours. My buddy fainted about 30 mins into the hike and chipped a tooth on a rock. It could have been much worse. After that we wised up a bit and started taking a day to aclimate in a nearby town and get a hotel. But i agree - probably 3 days to start feeling aclimated.

Yup,I've seen lowland xfit guys blow a heart above 10k,mini strokes.
Not used to it. Over doing it at first.
Take the time to get acclimated and it will pay off. Who knows,maybe you can keep up with the herd....

I drive to the trailhead, get out, and start hiking. Get in the best shape you can. Eat a clean diet. Avoid coffee and alcohol if you don't feel good. Drink lots of water.

You won't ever be able to function physically like you would at your home altitude, unless you stayed there for several months to a year. However, by being smart you can greatly mitigate the negative affects as long as you stay within your physical capabilities and take care of your body from a nutritional standpoint.

We got to Durango a day early and went out and checked out where we were going to meet the outfitter. That was how we planned to be able to get acclimated a little. I was concerned about going from 34' to 10,000 ft. Drink plenty of water and every day my son and I would drink some WA Hydrate and Recover when we came in. Someone else mentioned, don't wait till your thirsty to drink. Carry water and protein bars. All four of us did good maybe just a little headache one day. Nothing an Advil couldn't take care of. On our last day the outfitter had to go bring a hunter down that was sick. He was from Denver. So, go figure.

Maybe someone here can shed a little light on something I've noticed in the mountains. We camp @ 9,800 ft,and hunt up to over 11,000 up in the Gunny for first rifle elk. Through the day time hours,I'm pretty darn good. Considering I live @ 1,500 ft. It's at night I have trouble. It seems to me anyway,when my respiration slows,you know,right in that fuzzy la la land sleep. I get jerked awake short of breath. If I have been diligent in my pre-season training,I can usually take a deep breath or two and nod back off. If I slacked any in the pre-season,it doesn't work. So,I have to sit up,or get pretty well inclined at least to get any real sleep. I'm considering camping clear down in Gunnison and driving up the 1 hour to the hunting grounds next time. Like I say.Through the day I'm pretty good if I just remember not to cross that threshold. As stated by another here,once you do it can be almost impossible to get back. Any thoughts on the night time frustration?

I've had headaches some years, and I've had trouble sleeping some years.
Seems like once I get tired, I start seeing the bucks I walked by the first day.
Good recommendations in previous posts.

I think most of the Altitude symptoms are really dehydration symptoms...

Maybe someone here can shed a little light on something I've noticed in the mountains. We camp @ 9,800 ft,and hunt up to over 11,000 up in the Gunny for first rifle elk. Through the day time hours,I'm pretty darn good. Considering I live @ 1,500 ft. It's at night I have trouble. It seems to me anyway,when my respiration slows,you know,right in that fuzzy la la land sleep. I get jerked awake short of breath. If I have been diligent in my pre-season training,I can usually take a deep breath or two and nod back off. If I slacked any in the pre-season,it doesn't work. So,I have to sit up,or get pretty well inclined at least to get any real sleep. I'm considering camping clear down in Gunnison and driving up the 1 hour to the hunting grounds next time. Like I say.Through the day I'm pretty good if I just remember not to cross that threshold. As stated by another here,once you do it can be almost impossible to get back. Any thoughts on the night time frustration?
Not really sure. I live in New Orleans (below sea level), and have a little trouble the first day or two. This last season (2014), I used Wilderness Athlete nightime optimizer. It seemed to help me get a more restful sleep, and I felt good in the morning, even though I had to wake up at 4:00 am. As in my previous reply, I also used their Altitude Adjustment, Multi Vitamins, and Hydrate and Recover. I find it helps a lot.
Mark Paulsen is one of the people at Wilderness Athlete, and is a guru in the field. He will help answer any questions you might have. Give him a call 1-800-291-8065.

This sounds like maybe you have sleep apnea and the elevation is making it worse. You might consider asking a Dr.

As in my previous reply, I also used their Altitude Adjustment, Multi Vitamins, and Hydrate and Recover. I find it helps a lot.
Mark Paulsen is one of the people at Wilderness Athlete, and is a guru in the field. He will help answer any questions you might have. Give him a call 1-800-291-8065.

I'm quite sure this guy isn't going to say "you are good you don't need to buy any of our product". Yea

Not really sure. I live in New Orleans (below sea level), and have a little trouble the first day or two. This last season (2014), I used Wilderness Athlete nightime optimizer. It seemed to help me get a more restful sleep, and I felt good in the morning, even though I had to wake up at 4:00 am. As in my previous reply, I also used their Altitude Adjustment, Multi Vitamins, and Hydrate and Recover. I find it helps a lot.

I'll do that. I've been curious about their products,and If it helps I'm all for it.

I'll be checking in with a Dr as well. I was to an ear nose and throat Dr a couple weeks ago. One of the first things he asked after a little examination was "Do you have sleep Apnea?" I don't know yet what prompted hime to ask.but I will be back in a week and will check that out.

I'm quite sure this guy isn't going to say "you are good you don't need to buy any of our product". Yea

I understand what you are saying Gr8bwana. Mark Paulsen founded the Wilderness Athlete company. Before becoming the strength and conditioning coach at the University of New Mexico, he played for the Cleveland Browns.
He is an MD and has a Family Medical Practice in Granby, Colorado.

I don't think he would try to diagnose a medical problem over the phone, but I would trust him if he suggests that one or more of his products would help in an adverse situation such as Altitude related problems. I would hope that 7remmy would consult a physician if he contiunes to have a problem. I was just offering a suggestion that he call Mark Paulsen at Wilderness Athlete. No harm intended.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back