ALPS OutdoorZ Commander + Pack

pn8hall

Does anyone have thoughts on the Alps Commander X + Pack? I can get it for $105 brand new right now and want to know if anyone has used it and if they liked it. I am in my early planning stages for my 1st Elk hunt in CO and I am trying to start acquiring the gear I need. I have researched a lot of different packs and quite honestly I dont want to spend $600 on a pack if possible. I also dont want to make a poor decision on a pack choice and pay the consequence when I try to get 1/4s off the mountain. Maybe I need a used pack in the $300 range I dont know. This is where I draw upon the huge knowledge base of you guys. Thanks in advance for any insight.

I edited the model info sorry for the mix up.

Last edited:
I don't have that Alps, but a different one. I think the biggest negatives will be the weight, at almost 8 lbs, is heavy and will probably not be as comfortable with a full load, and from seeing them in stores they are pretty bulky and big. So if you can afford more, getting a lightly used higher quality pack i think you would be happier. That said, I'm sure that pack will be more than serviceable for your hunt.

I will be upgrading to a better pack for next year (an SG I think) but I live in the west and would use it a lot more than one hunt so not apple to apples.

I'm no expert on the subject as I'm just now looking at getting a high end pack.

I bought that exact frame without the pack for my son a couple of years ago for $99. For that price it is very hart to beat. It has nice wide shoulder starps and a wide and padded waist belt. It is quite comfortable with a bull elk hindquarter, it is very adjustable and the numerous straps for holding loads tight to the frame are great. It also has a load shelf.
I'm a person who does not go for stuff because it has brand x name on it and is outrageously expensive.
So for $105 I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I bought one a few years ago. I thought it was a good deal until lots of the plastic snaps and connectors failed. Maybe it was a bad batch . Went to the dumpster .

I bought one two years ago. For the price it can't be beat, though if you had the money I would spring for a used internal frame pack. The Alps commander is a bit clunky, and a bit wide. It would be nice to have something sleeker. Another complaint I have is that no matter how I adjust the external frame I cannot shoot while laying prone. The frame impedes you from lifting your head up when you're laying prone.

That said it is very comfortable. I've hauled two deer and an elk out with it. It's actually quite comfortable under load relative to other packs I've used made exclusively for hauling meat. The only bull it has hauled out was a deadhead.

Attachments

• IMG_0772.JPG
    IMG_0772.JPG
    431.2 KB · Views: 317
I've got just the frame. It's hauled a couple of deer out. Worked well. It's an external frame pack, and is bulkier than an internal frame. I like the way an external frame pack works with a heavy load so it works for me. If I'm going in for a couple of days in use a day pack to carry stuff, and strap it to the frame. Tada!

I've had this pack for 2 years. It's pretty comfortable, well built and for that price you can't go wrong. I picked mine up figuring I would keep it until I could afford to move up later. Aside from the weight I like this pack enough I may not try to upgrade for a while. I have had the Eberlestock Dragonfly and Tenzing 6000 and the Alpz is hands down the better pack in the middle price range. If I could get another one for $105 I probably would buy it and put it on a shelf for later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back