Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Advice for wyoming antelope

Nathan34

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting in this forum. And was wondering if i could get some advice on hunting antelope in wyoming next year. I have 2 points for antelope and deer, are there any good areas for that amoint of points. Thanks

There are plenty of units that are good for 2 points in Wyoming.... just make sure that you have access to land. Check out the Wyoming website for public land access in different units. Good Luck.

good luck to all
the dog

Rifle antelope hunting is not physically as difficult compared to Deer/ Elk.

As mentioned, make sure you find some decent public access. Finding a big buck may take some work, but this generally involves driving and hiking to different areas and glassing a number of different herds until you find the one you want.

Thanks for the info guys! I will check out the walk in access areas. See if there are ones thay i could draw with 2 points.

I just got back from Wyoming on a zero point unit. I "scouted" about 60 hours on the computer with maps and on the phone with the game commission out there. Then 2 days prior to the season I got into Wyoming and looked over a lot of buck, then hunted 15 to 20 minutes after daylight to kill what I feel was a nice buck. I guess what I'm saying is the enjoyment to me was leading up to the kill. Wyoming website is great, look and see what units you can do with 2 points, call game commission in that area look at maps and go shoot a buck

Goat

Antelope with 2 points is an easier draw for a good hunt than deer with 2 points in WY.

Couple of approaches. First, there are decent units in WY where you can draw a pronghorn buck tag as your second choice and not lose your accumulated pronghorn points. Those units tend to be in eastern 1/3 of the state and have public land access challenges. Challenges. Not a deal breaker but may take a year to really figure out the access so you can go in with the attitude that year 1 is a scouting trip that may result in a buck harvest, may not. The economy has rebounded for enough non-residents that the number of pronghorn buck units that can be drawn as a 2nd choice are gradually shrinking. A bit of research looking at draw statistics up at WY F&G and you can identify what pronghorn units have tags that go as 2nd choice in recent years. Be careful as some units have tags types that are restricted to a portion of the unit or for a doe antelope or the weapon type.

Second approach, burn your accumulated points. Never a certain thing the same amount of pronghorn points that had 100% preference point draw for a pronghorn unit will draw that unit the following year. Maybe a huge buck was shot the prior year which increase demand of tags or winter kill lowered the quotas which reduces supply of tags. WY F&G provides detailed information for the non-resident draw. I suggest you look at units in the western half of the state that could be drawn with 2 points last year then do some research by using Google to search. For example, "Wyoming pronghorn unit 546" or "Wyoming antelope unit 546" where the 546 is the unit you are interested in finding info. You will probably find 6-12 units where you find very good information, can likely draw with 2 points and then can weigh things like season dates and number of tags and closeness to gasoline/motel/airport etc finesse issues.

As I mentioned, 2 points for deer does not open as many units for a preference draw. You might draw in the random portion though so that is one way to plan your deer strategy so if you do snag a tag then is a very good hunt. Your odds may be 1 in 100 in the random bucket and, of course, 0 in 100 in the preference bucket.

I like WY because is does set aside tags guaranteed to go to non-residents. I dislike WY because all point systems are flawed and, in my opinion, discriminatory against young hunters that could not apply in year 1 of the point scheme being launched. There are only so many sheep tags to go around, for example, so a point system pushed a few hundred people into a special class (Year 1 participants) and then all that follow only play in the random bucket. Is selfish and has nothing to do with loyalty. These are not club memberships, these are big game tags. Fortunately, WY has enough antelope tags to meet most of the demand for a good tag each year. 1000s are chasing a few hundred great antelope tags in WY, though, and once one of those guys draw then they will never again be a max point holder again even if they live another 40 years.

Thats a really good response lopehunter, definitely going to have to research more. Do you mind me asking what area PAGOAT.

Anybody know anything about units 34 and 11 for antelope? Im going off the map of walk in access.

Don't look only at WIA's. Make sure PUBLIC roads touch BLM or state land. If your not afraid of walking, some public land doesn't have a lot of easy access but if you walk it opens up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back