Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

A sharpie morning

mtmiller

Get up early all week for work, might as well do it on the weekend as well. :D

Hit the road a little after 4 this morning and set up my blind on a lek I discovered last week. Cloudy conditions, but I got some decent shots.

What do you know, my prop worked.:D

april_18_2009__2___large.jpg

april_18_2009__4___large.jpg

Coming to attention.
april_18_2009__8___large.jpg

Bad hair day.
april_18_2009__9___large.jpg

Light sneaking in...momentarily.
april_18_2009__11___large.jpg

april_18_2009__13___large.jpg

april_18_2009__15___large.jpg

Low clearance.
april_18_2009__10___large.jpg

Karate kid?
april_18_2009__18___large.jpg

Crouching tiger, hidden dragon?
april_18_2009__17___large.jpg

Then a ballet broke out.:rolleyes:
april_18_2009__19___large.jpg

OK, I have to ask the question. I have seen all these great pics of these birds and don't know what they are, so, what the hell are they and why the interest in them?

Craig,

You ever tried marketing some of these? They're top notch.

Jabber,

The birds in these pics are sharptail grouse. They are common in the Northern Plains. Spring is mating season. Male and female alike converge to certain open areas called a lek. The males strut their colors, do a crazy stomping foot dance, and fight for the females' attention. It's realy an amazing sight at some of the larger leks to see a lot of birds simultaneously. Lek sites are historical and if left undisturbed, will be used for many years.

I've heard it said that the plains native american tribes mimic some of their dances after the sharp and sage grouse.

Miller, those are some of the coolest prairie bird pics I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing.

Very cool.

Thanks T-Bone, that helps a lot.

The pictures are amazing, both in subject quality and pic quality.

Miller,

Thank you for getting up in the morning and taking those pics to share with us. They are fantasic. Nice touch with the prop, I wouldn't have thought of something like that. Great work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back