Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

7mag barrel length

kbhillhunter

I have a stock Remington 700 ADL 7mag that comes with a 26 inch barrel. I'd like to make this my designated elk gun. I'm converting it to a BDL platform on synthetic stock that weighs 2.2lbs, and looking for ways to trim back the weight a little but also make easy to carry and handle in the field. Not looking to go UL, as I do want a little heft to absorb some recoil. But one thought is cutting the barrel back to 24 inches.

I've read a fair amount of content on the average loss of fps when cutting a barrel back. What i'm still unsure of is:

Is loss of fps as big a factor if my self imposed shot distance is 300-400 yards, and does it have a comparable effect on retained energy?

Does the 7mag get hamstrung with a barrel of this length or does it still offer the advantage of shooting a magnum cartridge? If it's ballistically indistinguishable from say an 06, I'm wondering if maybe I shouldnt saddle myself with the increased ammo cost.

Has anyone else cut a standard barrel back this length, and if so, how much weight loss did you see?

Does the gun shoot good? You realize a sporter barrel weighs like 2-3 lbs and your talking about cutting 2” off the narrowest part. Might save 3-4 oz if your lucky. 7 is still a killer with a 24” tube

Last edited:
Weight isn't everything. Sometimes a shorter sporter barrel stiffens it and provides improved accuracy. Sometimes it's easier to carry and swing a 22-24" rifle in the woods. But I like the longer barrels for long action belted magnum.

I have several 7mm Rem mags with different barrel lengths. I find that 24" is a good compromise, it's easier to carry in the brush and timber than a 26" barrel, and the length still doesn't handicap velocity. Plus you mention a max range of 300-400 yards, the elk won't know the difference. Good shot placement and a quality bullet = dead elk....

I'd probably cut it back. 26" is a lot of tube and I think it would be pretty cumbersome to carry around in the woods. Not from a weight standpoint, but just from having a longer rifle. You probably won't notice the velocity drop and accuracy may improve, but it may not.

I'd probably cut it back. 26" is a lot of tube and I think it would be pretty cumbersome to carry around in the woods. Not from a weight standpoint, but just from having a longer rifle. You probably won't notice the velocity drop and accuracy may improve, but it may not.

I have shot 26-inch 7 mags for many years. They are not cumbersome at all, in the elk country. I'll always select the longer barrel on a rifle. But, then again, a few ounces in weight does not bother me.

Worry about something else and don't cut the barrel. Use the time and money on something else.

Leave it 26”. Easier ways to save some ounces like Talley lightweight rings, lighter scope, lighter weight stock.

My Savage 111 is 24".
Friends Browning A Bolt White Gold Medallion REMF is 26".
Mossburg Patriot is 22".

Me, i prefer the 24". Makes it perfect to put a brake on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back