Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

6.5 Grendel Nosler Bullet Choice - Deer Hunting

USAF Ret

I am finally loading for my Grendel. PSA Upper and Stag lower. This is for deer hunting. I have in stock - 120 grain Ballistic Tip, 120 grain E-Tip and 125 grain Partition. Looking at expansion, the Ballistic Tip wins out. However, I would like a pass through for tracking, and that leaves the Partition and the E-Tip. The E-Tip takes a bit more velcoity than the Partition to open up.

Thinking the Partition is maybe the good go between? Use the Ballistic Tip for Coyotes and maybe save the E-Tip for the Creedmoor?

Any real world experience out there? Expert opinion?

My little granddaughter uses a Howa mini 20" bolt. Death on deer.
Not just white tail but big Mule deer bucks.
We load here 123 ssts, I don't remember the powder off hand.
11 deer and counting all one shot dead.
From 75 yards to 220 yards.

120 gold dots shoot really well for me. Check out the 100gr Barnes ttsx too.

I'd keep the Etips for the Creedmoor. They are a tough bullet and I don't think you'd like the expansion with them but if you send one into a shoulder it may do exactly as it needs. Partitions would be a great choice and since you have them would be a top choice based solely on their performance I've had with them in my 270.

I don't remember if the 6.5mm ballistic tip shares construction design as some of the heavier BTs that people use or if it's a thinner jacket. Maybe a search on Nosler's forum may tell you. My experience with Grendel velocities is that I felt the 123 Hornady SST worked perfectly on a whitetail doe I shot at 200 yards last winter. I hit just behind the shoulder and she dropped after 1 or 2 steps. Meat damage was minimal and the bullet went completely through. I was really impressed. If the Ballistic tip is one of the tougher versions and not a thin jacket one (maybe there never was a difference) I wouldn't hesitate for deer. Of course they'd definitely make short work of a coyote.

I think CFE223, XBR8208, or Tac would be top contenders for powders but I know there are a pile out there. CFE223 is not listed for the lighter bullets but a lot of people on the Grendel Forums sing its praises. I need to shoot mine over a chrono to get better information but nearly all loads would shoot 1" so I stopped chasing numbers and had fun shooting.

I'd keep the Etips for the Creedmoor. They are a tough bullet and I don't think you'd like the expansion with them but if you send one into a shoulder it may do exactly as it needs. Partitions would be a great choice and since you have them would be a top choice based solely on their performance I've had with them in my 270.

I don't remember if the 6.5mm ballistic tip shares construction design as some of the heavier BTs that people use or if it's a thinner jacket. Maybe a search on Nosler's forum may tell you. My experience with Grendel velocities is that I felt the 123 Hornady SST worked perfectly on a whitetail doe I shot at 200 yards last winter. I hit just behind the shoulder and she dropped after 1 or 2 steps. Meat damage was minimal and the bullet went completely through. I was really impressed. If the Ballistic tip is one of the tougher versions and not a thin jacket one (maybe there never was a difference) I wouldn't hesitate for deer. Of course they'd definitely make short work of a coyote.

I think CFE223, XBR8208, or Tac would be top contenders for powders but I know there are a pile out there. CFE223 is not listed for the lighter bullets but a lot of people on the Grendel Forums sing its praises. I need to shoot mine over a chrono to get better information but nearly all loads would shoot 1" so I stopped chasing numbers and had fun shooting.
I need to maybe do some searching on any Grendel videos with the Ballistic Tip testing. I have just heard about folks shooting deer and not getting a pass through and having problems tracking.

I don;t have any of those powders on-hand. Got some H335. I was loading Benchmark for a buddy's 308 and saw that there was a load for the Grendel as well, so since I had the powder in the hopper, I loaded some up. I will be comparing that to the H335. I know I can get Tac down the road as well.

Just picked up a couple hundred 129 grain ABLRs. I need to get some TAC powder, though. Only one I have listed is Varget and it is way slow. I think this will give me what I am looking for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back