6.5 Creedmore vs 7x57

It's a decent comparison when you're loading to modern pressures. In which case, the 7x57 is on par with the 7-08 or even a bit better....and we know the 7-08 out performs the 6.5 CM when comparing apples to apples.

He gets around to the reason it's not really apples/apples at the end...7x57 requires a long action, and recoil will be noticeably more with the heavy (and therefore slippery) .284 bullets. So then if you have to have a LA anyway, why not .280, .280ai, .284 win, etc. No shade on the 7x57 by any means.

He gets around to the reason it's not really apples/apples at the end...7x57 requires a long action, and recoil will be noticeably more with the heavy (and therefore slippery) .284 bullets. So then if you have to have a LA anyway, why not .280, .280ai, .284 win, etc. No shade on the 7x57 by any means.
Just another fine rifle that is overlooked as a game-getter. Flip a coin and buy whatever. Any one of a plethora of cartridges, will kill critters very dead-especially with the selection of bullets that we have now. Comparing these two cartridges is just something for conversation purposes, unless you are just going to shoot the heavy 7mm bullets, then the 6.5 cannot compete with the weight thing.

That’s the way I see it. If you don’t already have a medium length action, then just build a .280 Rem. The 7x57 has 2%-4% more capacity than the 7-08, but a .280 Rem has 21% more case capacity. If you’re sitting on a Mauser 98 and can’t do a .280, then a 7x57 is a great cartridge.....but so it a .284Win.

The 7-08 needs to brace itself for the 7mmCM and 7x47L. They would fit the s/a better, equal performance of the 7-08 and could get a SAAMI spec long throat and tight twist. Of course, I don’t mind long actions, so it wouldn’t interest me.

Last edited:
That’s the way I see it. If you don’t already have a medium length action, then just build a .280 Rem. The 7x57 has 2%-4% more capacity than the 7-08, but a .280 Rem has 21% more case capacity. If you’re sitting on a Mauser 98 and can’t do a .280, then a 7x57 is a great cartridge.....but so it a .284Win.

The 7-08 needs to brace itself for the 7mmCM and 7x47L. They would fit the s/a better, equal performance of the 7-08 and could get a SAAMI spec long throat and tight twist. Of course, I don’t mind long actions, so it wouldn’t interest me.

Just what I would need-another rifle to screw with! :p

No, actually the 7X57 Mauser best utilizes an intermediate action. Use said intermediate action paired with the 284 Win, and you have a winner also (thank Melvin Forbes).

And if i were to hunt with the 7X57, it would be with the 150gr Nosler ABLR.
With a G1 of 0.613, and the lighter weight to keep velocities up, would be impressive at range.

My build right now for my daughter is planned around the 120-140gr Ballistic Tips.
(She's recoil sensitive).

Yeah I know it will fit a medium action, I'm just talking about what the article references, which are the heavies. If someone wants to cram a 195 Berger or 180 ELDM into a run of the mill medium action magazine set-up with any kind of efficiency, good luck. The 195 Berger is 1.65" long. The entire 7x57 case is only 2.24" long.

Yeah I know it will fit a medium action, I'm just talking about what the article references, which are the heavies. If someone wants to cram a 195 Berger or 180 ELDM into a run of the mill medium action magazine set-up with any kind of efficiency, good luck. The 195 Berger is 1.65" long. The entire 7x57 case is only 2.24" long.

Agreed. A standard Mauser 98 Action has a mag well of about 3.310”. A 7x57 loaded with a 195 EOL to touch the lands of a SAAMI dimension chamber would measure about 3.484”. While .174” is a lot of jump, at least the EOL is a Hybrid, so it’s jump tolerant. Unfortunately, a lot of the heavies with more moderate BCs have longer bearing surfaces, which means even longer loaded lengths if you’re trying to hit the lands.

Blow that 7mm Mauser case out & give it a 40% shoulder (Ackley Improved) and it not only blows the 6.5 CM out of the water, but you're touching cloth on the 280 AI.

Little new under the sun when it comes to cartridges, just the marketing.

Blow that 7mm Mauser case out & give it a 40% shoulder (Ackley Improved) and it not only blows the 6.5 CM out of the water, but you're touching cloth on the 280 AI.

Little new under the sun when it comes to cartridges, just the marketing.

Not exactly. The article was a little generous when it said that the 7x57 had a case capacity of 60gr of H2O. The .257 Rob(7x57 necked to .257”) holds about 54gr, the .257Rob AI holds 60gr. Going up to 7mm adds a little, but not a significant amount. The .280Rem holds about 66gr of H2O, and the .280RemAI holds almost 72gr H2O. The 7x57AI beats the pants off of a 7-08, but is by no means in the same class as a .280AI. It will not even match the .280Rem.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back