Yeti GOBOX Collection

35 year old montana hunter struggling

Slow down and glass each draw and drainage. It’s not all about burning boot leather sometimes, still hunt through some dark timber midday and be setup on good glassing points during dawn and dusk.
Another vote for slow down. Back when hunting the Custer was more than just a hike with a rifle I would often cover more miles walking in the dark getting in and out of where I wanted to hunt than I would cover the rest of the day.

Don't let the sound of a gunshot make you think everyone else is into elk and you are not. First of all, not all gunshots are people shooting at elk. Secondly, you don't hear the 40 other guys within earshot who DIDN'T shoot that day.

Make sure you are in an area that holds elk (ie sign). Beyond that, as everyone else has stated, be persistent. My dad once told me long ago that you can count on 1 opportunity per year. Might be a good opportunity, might be a crappy one, but don't let your guard down and goof it up. Believe it will happen!

Slow down and get further away form roads. With pressure from other hunters I will start my hunting 5-6 miles from the road. Just vecuse you hear gunshots doesnt mean they are shotting at critters. Half these guys shoot just to be an idiot, and sometimes just to make noise I think. Elk will move deep back into 'Sanctuary" places most hunters wont go. If its nasty, crappy and you tell your self this is gonna suck, that's where the elk will be. It wont suck, until you pack out a critter.

Have only heard 4 shots. You aren't the only one. They are scattered and hard to find this year. You may not even be in the right drainage. I'm on number 6.

My biggest piece of advice-

When you find fresh sign, go slow, especially in the timber. Walk a few steps and glass. Repeat. Make sure the wind is in your face. Go where others won't. You have to see them before they blow out. This is how elk survive.

Last thing, hunting is slow until it isn't... You just aren't going to have close encounters every day.

Enjoy HUNTING and having the opportunity to be out there. God bless America!

As others have stated … "slow down" … better yet … slow down and enjoy yourself. Enjoy the hunt and not the "kill". If you focus on killing something, you're going to put a lot of undue stress on yourself. It will happen … stay at it. Learn from the field experience, whether it is a positive experience or a negative experience.

As others have stated … "slow down" … better yet … slow down and enjoy yourself. Enjoy the hunt and not the "kill". If you focus on killing something, you're going to put a lot of undue stress on yourself. It will happen … stay at it. Learn from the field experience, whether it is a positive experience or a negative experience.
Agreed, it seems like I'm learning something new from every hunt. File it away in your "bag of tricks"... And ENJOY

I don’t consider myself an overly skilled elk hunter by any means, but the most important bits of advice I can give is:

Know when to hurry and when to slow down.

Think outside the box and don’t get stuck in the rut of doing the same thing every hunt.

Have fun. If it feels like a job do something else that day.

Above all else, work the wind.

Hunt where the elk are, not where you’ve determined they aren’t.

It’s a process. I hunted 8 days this year before I actually saw an elk. I shot him. Make the most of your opportunities. Good luck, and above all else have fun.

Not sure on how many days but I think my MPE's (miles per elk on foot) are around 80-100. Didn't get one last year and between archery and rifle I had to be close to that number, this year my season lasted 4 hrs. So lucky for me my MPE's carry over each year. :)

I know most people are saying to slow down, but for me it doesn't take much to put on 8-10 miles in a day. That's just slowly walking all day, stopping and glassing ect. In my mind I need to put on miles to find the elk or fresh sign. Some places work well for glass some don't. So I'll use glass when I can and if it makes sense.

I'm going to be the odd ball and say double your daily mileage and find elk or fresh sign of elk and then slow down and hunt them. Looks like the weather is turning cold/snowy again Sat. I'd be ready for that, find a fresh track and follow it until you find them.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back