MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2024 Kodiak Blacktail hunt!

Fantastic, I am heading back in Nov 2025 it’s been way too long since I been there. I really enjoy Kodiak

Also, just reserved a bear fence from Kodiak Kamps. This will be worth its weight in sleep insurance I believe. They’ll drop it off with the transporter and pick it up after we return, easy logistics.

Also, just reserved a bear fence from Kodiak Kamps. This will be worth its weight in sleep insurance I believe. They’ll drop it off with the transporter and pick it up after we return, easy logistics.
I made a packable one with the help of @Bluffgruff and it was surprisingly cheap to do and came in at about 10#. I think Bluff got his to about 8#

That’s intriguing, a quick look at Amazon shows that will be pricier than a weeks rental, but then we would have it for future hunts and from what I understand once one hunts Alaska, you’ll always want to return!

Enjoy your hunt, Kodiak is a special place.
One must be careful, my ex called Alaska my evil Mistress. If she gets a hold of you, you're done. I've lived in or visited Alaska every year since I was 3 (1958). Don't regret much of it. There was the summer I was guiding fishermen and it rained eighty some days straight. That sucked.
Looking forward to your report and photos.

3 segments of carbon arrow. All ends have inserts. Bottom has a field point, dropped paracord loop through top of top one before gluing. Threaded rod about 2" long to connect also glued, one side for bottom and middle. These posts must be staked to hold upright. I will probably buy 4' fiberglass commercial ones for anything besides the most ultralight of adventures. Tester was from tractor supply. String is braided mason's line. Aluminum stakes. @ScottP

3 segments of carbon arrow. All ends have inserts. Bottom has a field point, dropped paracord loop through top of top one before gluing. Threaded rod about 2" long to connect also glued, one side for bottom and middle. These posts must be staked to hold upright. I will probably buy 4' fiberglass commercial ones for anything besides the most ultralight of adventures. Tester was from tractor supply. String is braided mason's line. Aluminum stakes. @ScottP
Awesome! thanks so much. I currently have the 4' fiberglass with some round post connectors I bought on Amazon. That combo is pretty heavy but was quick and dirty so I can put up and test out at home. The wad of 4' poles doesn't seem very super cub friendly ;)

Awesome! thanks so much. I currently have the 4' fiberglass with some round post connectors I bought on Amazon. That combo is pretty heavy but was quick and dirty so I can put up and test out at home. The wad of 4' poles doesn't seem very super cub friendly ;)
Also, you have to hear shrink the carbon poles or you'll lose a lot of voltage. Sometimes current arcs farther than you'd think to get to the inserts too.

I’ve heard good thing about the Graaksaw boot dryers and hot tents. But at $90 it seems a little steep, so I went on Amazon and found a usb fan with the same specs. About a hour of work later I had two pairs for $8 total. I soaked a set of boots in the sink, and threw them in. I’ll update with how they work overnight!

Attachments

• IMG_3333.jpeg
    IMG_3333.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3330.jpeg
    IMG_3330.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
Ok, you got me intrigued. And I certainly like a DIY project. I’m going down this rabbit hole now!

Commercial flights are also booked, an extra day on the front and two in the back. Should provide a worry free arrival and enough time for meat care on the way back and maybe a fishing charter in there as well. This trip is going to be epic!

I’ve heard good thing about the Graaksaw boot dryers and hot tents. But at $90 it seems a little steep, so I went on Amazon and found a usb fan with the same specs. About a hour of work later I had two pairs for $8 total. I soaked a set of boots in the sink, and threw them in. I’ll update with how they work overnight!
I’m making a set of these. Genius!

The DIY boot dryers worked great overnight, we keep our bedroom at 63 (so a bit warmer) they drained a 10k battery pack down to 75% (although this battery pack just shows 25, 50, 75, 100. So I’m not sure exactly how much but somewhere north of 75% charge left on it). I’m think at 4 oz and $4 they are worth it!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back