Yeti GOBOX Collection

2018 Utah Big Game Drawing

I'm sitting on 14 elk points but Fin has informed me that my preferred unit has been suffering from an influx the last couple years and it looks like it would take about 19+ points to draw. I like bowhunting but don't like the odds of harvest and with the amount invested in these tags I really would like to get a good bull. There are several units I could draw for archery it looks like. I have no desire to shoot a 330 bull my goal was 350 plus. Not sure it's even practical at this point. Not sure what to do?????

Do any of you fellas care to tell me about the utah system? Utah & Nevada are pretty much the only 2 states in the west that I'm not in the point game with. But with the recent change in the system in CO, It free's up a ton of my cash to maybe get into another state. I know I need to purchase a non refundable hunting license upfront, but beyond that I dont know much. I'd mostly be in it for long shot hunts for the big 3, not 20 yrs worth of preference pts for a general deer tag, If I understand correctly, the big 3 are a bonus pt system. Am I on the right lines of thought here?

Also: I have access to about 15K acres of private land in NE utah if I'm interested.

One thing to keep in mind about Utah, their license is good for 365 days. If you apply late in the app period the first year, you have until that date to apply the next, thus not having to purchase a license the next year. You would have to purchase that license if you were fortunate enough to draw though.

You would have to purchase that license if you were fortunate enough to draw though.

I thought I read on the UT DWR site that if you apply before your license expires and draw you don't have to buy another license?

One thing to keep in mind about Utah, their license is good for 365 days. If you apply late in the app period the first year, you have until that date to apply the next, thus not having to purchase a license the next year. You would have to purchase that license if you were fortunate enough to draw though.

I don’t believe that is correct. If you pull, and your license has expired you do not have to purchase another to hunt.

I don’t believe that is correct. If you pull, and your license has expired you do not have to purchase another to hunt.

I’m not sure totally about having to buy the license to actually hunt if u drew and then the license expired during the time u drew and the hunt but I do know the license can be used two yrs for application purposes. That’s 100% !

I may be mistaken about having to purchase the license if it is expired, just thought it was that way. Have to get drawn first:)

I thought I read on the UT DWR site that if you apply before your license expires and draw you don't have to buy another license?

Directly from the Utah Guidebook. Bottom right hand corner of page 9.

As long as your license was valid on the
date you submitted your permit application,
you don’t have to purchase a new license for
the actual hunt.
For example, assume that your license expires
on June 21, 2017. If you applied for permits
on March 1, 2017, then you do not have to
purchase a new license for your hunt in the fall.
All hunting and combination licenses are valid
for 365 days from the date of purchase.

If your license is valid at the time you submit your app and then expires you DO NOT have to purchase a license to hunt if drawn.
Good luck to everyone! I feel a tag coming my way this year!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back