Caribou Gear

2012 MT ELK - buddies 1st bull

Nice long shot, now that he is so much more ethical, teach him to find some place other than the animal to sit.

Seems i'm not the only one around here who's getting tired of the''long range'' thing. When are we going to stop being our own worst enemy? I am glad that the young man was able to recover his elk.

Wow you guys crack me up. Not my hunt boys, just sharing my friends 1st elk. Since when can I dictate another man's actions for him?

Anyways when you lung an elk, and he runs down a 45 degree slope he can cover a little bit of country before he dies. Also, a potential world record bighorn was taken in the Breaks recently and was shot at 84 yards. Successfully recovered and I couldn't be happier for the guy.

Wow you guys crack me up. Not my hunt boys, just sharing my friends 1st elk. Since when can I dictate another man's actions for him?

Anyways when you lung an elk, and he runs down a 45 degree slope he can cover a little bit of country before he dies. Also, a potential world record bighorn was taken in the Breaks recently and was shot at 84 yards. Successfully recovered and I couldn't be happier for the guy.

You made this statement:
Our friend Tyler has become a way more ethical hunter now that he hunts with us and not a bunch of jackasses, but I guess practicing on the GlenDel the night before at 80 yards gave him the confidence needed to pull off the shot. Regardless the shot was money. I was definitely was impressed he put it right in the boiler room considering it was his first shot at an elk.

You made the claim of how "ethical" Tyler has become. Practicing out to 80 and taking game with archery gear at those ranges is far from "Ethical" I guess we have a term difference.

I'm more impressed by people who get close to game than I am at how great one can shoot long range.

I practice at 70 and 80 all the time! And the groups I can produce at these ranges are impressive! But I do it to make me all the more confident out to 40 yards when I'm hunting. See a target is inanimate...an animal is not. We have all heard of animals 'dropping at the shot'--that can occur at 20-30yds! Now imagine the movement you can get out of large ungulate at 80yds that is already alert to potential danger. Long range shooting is the reason for those gutshot/hipshot bulls laying in the Breaks skull capped and bloated with an Axis shaft and broadhead making a 4 inch diameter wound channel as it cuts with every step of a hindleg.

So where does every one draw the line on whats ethical and whats not? Im sure its different for everyone based on there skill set, time at the range and equipment.

Good first bull. I have to question the ethics of an 80 yard shot also. Tracking him 500 yards makes it not a money shot. You got lucky. Additionally I have a pet peave about showing respect to the animal and sitting on it doesn't do it for me. That's just me though. Having to pack him out of that deep ravine is called karma.

So where does every one draw the line on whats ethical and whats not? Im sure its different for everyone based on there skill set, time at the range and equipment.

There is no defined point; it depends on the individual.

But at some point, most hunters will agree.

I think most would agree that an 80+ yard shot on an animal the size of an elk is past ethical lines.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back