09 eastern colorado mule deer

eastcolo

Hi all, new to this site and really like it. Thought I'd post my late season 09 mule deer. Taken in north eastern colorado, a few miles from my home. Some have said it looks to be a hybrid mule deer/ whitetail. I kinda agree. Lots of both in the area. Thanks for looking.

09Muledeer.jpg

Welcome eastcolo. I agree, the rack on that buck does look kind of "whitetailish." The face, cape, and ears look all muley. What about the tail, etc?

Congrats on a great buck and thanks for sharing.

Welcome to the site and congrats on the great buck. Have shot a lot of the "hybrids" but going the other way. Muley/Blacktail. All taste the same to me! Nice buck.!

Everything body wise is mule deer, tail, head, ears. Its just the rack that seems crossed. I hear there is a way that cdow can test the genetics, I dont think I will go through the trouble of finding out though. You are right Ridge Runner, they all tast great. Thanks for the welcome and for looking.

I notice you are shooting the TC. What model, cal., barrel length, scope and how does it shoot?
thank you.
Congrats on the great looking buck.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments, I did forget to tell details of the deer. It is a 6x6 counting the kicker off his right side and the double brow tine on his left side, allmost a 7x6 if you look at the very end of his left side there is allmost a point there, just not quite big enough. He is only 28 1/2" wide but he is my best deer, and I'm pretty proud of him.
upper deck- I think that is why I like him as much as I do is the brow tines, muleys out here usually dont have much there.
klrbaer- the T/C is an encore in 30-06 with a 24" barrel and a cabelas premium 3x9x40. It shoots great allthough this is the 1st animal taken with it. I have bow hunted for the last 15 years, my son just came of age to big game hunt here in Colo so I have opted to do a little rifle hunting with him until he is big enough to back pack into the elk honey holes and archery hunt with me. So I bought this barrel, I had the frame and a .204 barrel for coyote hunting, which shoots awesome also. Factory shoots ok but I have been playing around with some hand loads and trying to fine tune what the gun likes.
Once again thanks for the comments and look forward to being able to post more and see and hear about all your hunts.
Gannon

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back