Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

09 DIY hunt and introduction

Steelhead

So here I am on the couch digesting some turkey and I come accross the "On Your Own Adventures" TV show. I loved it...97% of people hunt like us...good scouting, etc. It was the episode where he went for archery elk in NM. I've been meaning to start buying points in more states. I have a bunch in OR, some in WA and 1 in WY...I plan on building points in Utah and Colorado also in 2010.
I'm not sure if introductions are customary on this site but I'll give one. My name is Matt and I'm a fisheries biologist who loves to steelhead fish more than anything else. I've even written a few steelheading articles for Salmon. Trout Steelheader magazine. However over the past few years I've really let this bowhunting/hunting thing grow on me and I love it! Rifle hunting is also fun... and ususally involves more killing.

Eastern OR Rifle: So as is customary in the first hours of opening day the crack of my friends rifle sounds off at 0730...fork down again. Then it starts snowing....for 2 days. Eventually there's a foot of snow at deer camp and very limited visability!
Eventually everybody quits and goes home. I spent two days hunting relatively hard in horrible conditions. On day four it cleared up and deer were moving. I passed on a spike and then came accross this guy and let him have it! I didn't know how big he was but I saw that he had a really good frame. Ended up being a really, really good frame! he's right around 150":D

Attachments

• P1020127.jpg
    P1020127.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 311
  • P1020159.jpg
    P1020159.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 310
Welcome Steelhead. Great buck. Congrats.

Looking forward to more pics and stories.

Very nice buck and intro. Sounds like you got your dream job as well!

Nice buck, looks like a fun camp also...I'd be thrilled to run into that buck on public land in Washington. :D

Welcome aboard Steelhead. Nice Oregon buck you got there. It's nice to see another Oregonian on here. At least I'm assuming you're from Oregon?

Welcome, Steelhead. I know this is a hunting site, but feel free to post some pics of steelhead on here. I know I'd enjoy them even if nobody else does.

Good buck... but in the Future, cut the tounge out or at least stick the bloody dangle back in it's mouth. Nothing kills a Picture like a bloody tounge......... Just my measley .02

Welcome to the site !!

Good buck... but in the Future, cut the tounge out or at least stick the bloody dangle back in it's mouth. Nothing kills a Picture like a bloody tounge......... Just my measley .02

Welcome to the site !!

And put a smile on your face :) you just killed one heckuva great buck!

Congrats! And I wouldn't mind seeing some steelhead pix either. I have a bit of a fishing problem that keeps me from hunting (and working) more! Of course, I mostly just fiddle with nice streambred browns here in Arizona and big fat grouper down in Mexico...

I caught a world of hurt from my buddies for the tounge. I was by myself taking the pictures with a timer and didn't notice it:( I didn't smile because I was in a daze from killing my biggest buck and I had to get it quartered and outta the canyon by dark (I always assume that the cougars or sasquatch will get me after the sun goes down).

Steelhead's steelhead pictures will be posted on the Fishin' board soon.

Congrats!! Great looking buck!

PS- After 4 trips to ID for steelhead w/o landing one, I'm beginning to believe they are fictional... ;)

Back