Tarp shelters

EYJONAS!

Does anyone have much experience with a tarp setup. I've been looking at jimmy tarps and while I do like the idea it definitely wouldn't be my go to shelter. More so something for a spike hunt if needed or something to throw up to get outta the elements and glass. I would probably look at getting the 6x9 set-up and one of his little chairs. Pretty slick. Any feedback helps thanks

Check out (The Track of the Wolf) they have a Baker lean to that looks like a functional shelter. Probably to heavy for backpacking. A friend had a similar shelter made out of nylon that works well when going light.
Dan

Does anyone have much experience with a tarp setup. I've been looking at jimmy tarps and while I do like the idea it definitely wouldn't be my go to shelter. More so something for a spike hunt if needed or something to throw up to get outta the elements and glass. I would probably look at getting the 6x9 set-up and one of his little chairs. Pretty slick. Any feedback helps thanks

This is pretty popular with hard core Dall Sheep hunters:
https://www.tarptent.com/motrail.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dZLTnUyIBk
Weight is 36 ounces...

I've had a couple of Six Moons shelters for backpacking. Most of the more popular TarpTents are too short for me. I got rid of my set up because my Hilleberg tents without the inner are close in weight and I already have them. I do have a 5x9 tarp that I pair with a 6 oz. bivy sack for the lightest trips.

My brother bought a tarp tent, first trip into the mountains he and his wife encountered 30 mph winds and rain and that thing got sold the minute they got back to town. Tarps probably work fine if you are camping in the trees or something and its good weather, but if it's good weather I'm sleeping under the stars and if it's windy, snowing, or raining I want something that's going to stand up to the wind and has a bathtub bottom so I don't get completely soaked. Go with a MSR hubba hubba or a big agnes they cost about the same, weight about the same, you can run either with just the foot print and the rain fly only major difference is they take up a bit more space in your pack.

Back