Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Decoys - do's & don'ts??

MoeHunt

I have an early October rifle hunt in a prime NM unit. I am considering buying and using a Montana decoy- cow. I've also seen video of a guy using a hand held camo screen. What are your experiences using these to sneak in to 200yard range? Besides wind direction are there other tips? Do's, Don'ts?

I really see no reason to use one with a rifle. I have used them with antelope and found them to be useful, but only with a bow.

Rifle?.....DON'T!!!

He's using a "COW" decoy as in cattle. Maybe your view is still the same.

As with rifle be careful always. These work very well assuming the goats have seen cattle before. The most important thing is that you do NOT set it up in front of the goats. Set it up in a draw and then start moving into shooting position.

With all that stated: Most rifles if well adjusted will shoot out to 300 - 400 yards very accurately. Not sure there is really a need for the "cow". Is the land really flat where you will hunt???

good luck to all
the dog

Most of it is flat and grassy. There is some rolling country with scattered juniper as well. It is the same area that is in some of Randy's NM pronghorn videos. That's where I picked up the cow decoy idea.

I just meant I wouldn't bother with it if I was using a rifle... that said it has been a long time since I have hunted antelope with a rifle. Hundreds of stalks with my bow may have my opinion skewed. Think it would be more problem than it is worth.

I saw a couple of guys walking next to horses using them as a screen. The antelope paid no attention to them even though they walked to within 50 yards. I'm sure antelope see horses and cows all the time. I guess antelope can't count how many legs a horse should have.

If you're rifle hunting, I would just be more aware of your movement and wind direction than putting your trust in a decoy to sneak in. If you move slowly and keep your eyes open, getting within rifle range shouldn't be difficult.

So I'd also like to self video and like to test out new tactics to get as close as I can. I normally bow hunt deer and elk and love it up close and personal. Just looking to add to my bag of tricks.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back