Caribou Gear

What a ball ache that was!

devon deer

Dave N and Sawtooth on here know this place, Dave and I called in some red hinds, and Sawtooth watched as a young fallow buck came out, its a real hot spot, but this evening it turned into a nightmare extraction.
Remember this young Fallow buck Sawtooth on your trip?
IMG_20170711_210945569.jpg
8 hinds with 3 young red stags came out, the stags were play fighting, but one was smelling the back side of a hind, so the rut will start soon.
The lead hind could see me against the hedge, but i was so far away and perfectly still she was happy to carry on feeding, just every now and again looking up and sniffing the air, i had to wait until the shot was safe, all the while she was getting closer and more suspicious by the minute, but eventually i took the shot, a good solid hit at 150 yards off my sticks, but it ran in the worst possible direction, with its front leg swinging it still cleared a fence, and i knew straight away, this is going to kill me tonight!
The stream which barely has a trickle running through it was flooded, not only that it had really steep muddy sides, thankfully it came to rest against a small log jam, but getting to it without going for a swim was awkward to say the least!
I managed to get the truck fairly close, lay out a rope, and eventually got it out, shot at 7.30pm, got home 3 hours later after dropping off the deer at the game dealers.
It amazes me, 180 grain Nosler Partition completely destroyed the heart, but it had run 150 yards and jumped a fence, how can they manage that?
IMG_20170908_195803226.jpg

Cheers

Richard

Maybe you should shoot them in the neck? Just kidding. Just shows how tough critters can really be! Get some sleep!

I still have a video of that young fallow buck on my cell phone. If you are heart shooting that stag at 150 yards I am guessing you held an inch and a half low with that tack driver of a 30-06 you own.:rolleyes: Hopefully those hinds will stick around and attract some more stags into that honey hole. Any more sightings of that big stag we saw this summer?

I still have a video of that young fallow buck on my cell phone. If you are heart shooting that stag at 150 yards I am guessing you held an inch and a half low with that tack driver of a 30-06 you own.:rolleyes: Hopefully those hinds will stick around and attract some more stags into that honey hole. Any more sightings of that big stag we saw this summer?

Yep you are bang on with your calculations!
I am hopeful they will hang around, i expect a big stag to be around there in the vicinity.
Sadly that big stag has gone, hopefully our paths will cross soon.

Cheers

Richard

Getting my roebuck skull back in my luggage wasn't a problem. A nice red stag would be too big for a carry on and would require you to ship them. This requires you to have an approved shipper send them to customs here in the U.S. This will up the price quite a bit. My largest roebuck was shot on the last night of my hunt with Devon Deer and I am still trying to figure out how to get him state side without breaking the bank.

How does the meat compare to our elk and what we have here? Can we import the skulls in a euro mount back to the states?
I would say Elk tastes better, just not so gamey as red deer venison, i never eat red stags, too strong a flavour.
Mount, see below!

Getting my roebuck skull back in my luggage wasn't a problem. A nice red stag would be too big for a carry on and would require you to ship them. This requires you to have an approved shipper send them to customs here in the U.S. This will up the price quite a bit. My largest roebuck was shot on the last night of my hunt with Devon Deer and I am still trying to figure out how to get him state side without breaking the bank.
Yes you can get them sent over, but it will be pricey, a roe buck not a problem in your hold luggage, but shipping is a big cost and hassle, i am in the process of getting a mounted roe buck sent over to Texas, i will find out a costing and let you all know when i have the price.

Cheers

Richard

I would say Elk tastes better, just not so gamey as red deer venison, i never eat red stags, too strong a flavour.
Mount, see below!

Yes you can get them sent over, but it will be pricey, a roe buck not a problem in your hold luggage, but shipping is a big cost and hassle, i am in the process of getting a mounted roe buck sent over to Texas, i will find out a costing and let you all know when i have the price.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks!

Cheers

Richard

You mean you are finally moving Simon out of the attic. I am sure your wife will be heart broken.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back