30-06 pet loads

VAspeedgoat

I hope this is not one of those "never ask" questions but I was hoping maybe some of you would share a load that is a favorite of yours or that maybe has worked in several rifles. I have found in the past that I can cut to the chase and save valuable reloading and shooting time. I know I should make time but the farm has become pretty unforgiving.

The rifle is a winchester 70 push feed with a 24" stainless barrel. A long time ago it shot remington extended range 178 grain at 2720 fps very well. I have not found anything that shoots an inch or less since. I am not married to 180 grain but it has a tendency to like it better. Thanks in advanced

I'm loading 165gr Partitions over 52gr of R15. Not sure of the speed, but it's went through everything I've shot with it, including 3 pigs with one bullet...

Just built a sick load the other day for my 06. 62.2 grs of rl 22 and a 168 gr Berger.. 2980 avg and right at 1"..

Try the Ballistic Tip. Use the regular .06 powders. You will find a load. The current Ballistic Tips are stouter than the old. mtmuley

currently i load 55grs of H4350 to push 168gr Barnes TTSX @ 2830fps out of a 22" barrel. the bullet(s) knocks the crap out of everything it's hit. also sub-moa at 100yds. never recovered a bullet yet, all pass throughs, drt results every time.

Hey Quackillr, which Berger? I've used the 168 grain Classic Hunter. Just picked up a box of 168 grain Target Hybrids for the heck of it. mtmuley

Hey Quackillr, which Berger? I've used the 168 grain Classic Hunter. Just picked up a box of 168 grain Target Hybrids for the heck of it. mtmuley

Hunting vld's, I found this load by accident so to speak. Had some leftover .30 168 vld's from my .300 wm and some leftover Rl 22 from load developement from my daughters recent 7mm rm buildup. Loaded a string for fun to shoot at some paper and stumbled upon a load that is about 140 fps faster than anything I have tried in the 168 gr range out of that gun.

57 grains of IMR4350 pushes a 165 Nosler Accubond out at 2800 fps in my Rem 700 with a 22 inch barrel. I doubt there is much in the lower 48 or even North that would not fall to that bullet.

Similar to Lefty315 load. I use Winchester brass and 57.4 grs of IMR4350 with the 165 gr. Nosler Accubond or Partition! Both of those bullets shot equally as well in two different rifles. One was a Remington 700 ADL with the 22" barrel and the rifle I use it in now is a Ruger 1B single-shot in 30-06. Either bullet works great on both game and is extremely accurate. I'll see if I can find a picture of a group with it. That's chronographed speed also, not a guess. The 1B Ruger has a 26" barrel which explains the greater velocity.

David

Here is a 165 Accubond recovered in 1-gallon water jugs at 25 yards. I've done a bunch of testing with the Accubonds, E-tips, and Partitions in water to see results.

Last edited:
57 grains of IMR 4350 and a 165 grain Hornady interlock has performed admirably in my pre-64 M70 for about a decade. Right around a 1/2 inch load.

It took me a long time to find a 180 grain load that the rifle really liked but settled on RL22 & a Noselr E-tip. Can't recall the specific load data, but it produced sub 1" groups at 100 yards. Will try and dig it out tonight.

Another vote for the Hornady 165 interlock, my pre-64 loves the factory custom loads, and I am working up a handload for it now. Best group is at 1/4" 3 shots at 100 yards.

currently i load 55grs of H4350 to push 168gr Barnes TTSX @ 2830fps out of a 22" barrel. the bullet(s) knocks the crap out of everything it's hit. also sub-moa at 100yds. never recovered a bullet yet, all pass throughs, drt results every time.

I absolutely LOVE the 168 Gr Barnes, I have recovered two rounds from game.
1. Cow elk @ 500 ish yds
2. mule deer buck @ 150yds

both had almost full weight retention and great expansion.
this picture is of the mule deer bullet

IMG_2627.jpg

I too have a load load with the Berger 168Gn Classic Hunters. Very accurate, during load testing and sighting in it put three shots into 11mm at 100 metres, sorry for the metric guys. And on confirmation of trajectory it put 3 shots into 80mm at 406 metres. The load is 57 grains of Reloder 17 at 2766fps from a 22 inch barrel. It has a extreme spread of 15fps.

As yet my load is untested on game.

Can anyone share their experiences of this projectile on deer or elk?

It sounds like 4350 and rl22 are the two winners here. Coincidentally, that is the most accurate loads that nosler has for 165 and 180 grain respectively. I hope the 4350 works because that is what I use in both of my 270s. It would make storage pretty simple.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back