Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Mystery Ranch vs. Eberlestock

huntbux

Ok, so which pack would you purchase. Make sure you read this whole post before you answer though. Looking for a new pack, I have a Blacks Creek Canadian backpack 8.4lbs 2200 cu inches expands to 3850 cu inches. Looking for a new pack, don't feel mine is very comfortable. Want to shed some weight but want to keep the price down as well.
I know the frame will make a difference as well. I know my pack currently makes loads seem heavier than they actually are. I was looking on the MR site and at the Longbow. Noticed that it 6.8lbs and actually like the Coyote color as well. Like all the pockets and organization. 2400 cu inches seems a bit small for multi day backpacking. But I have not done much more than a 3 or 4 day trip so far. $464 on MR's website. I can get the Eberlestock Blue Widow for $230 7lbs 12oz, 2200 cu in and expanded 4700 cu in. Dragonfly for $258, 8.8lbs and 2900 cu in to 5245 cu in expanded.
I have also been reading about the new pack that may be coming out and that seems like it will be the cats meow.
Want to see what others will think. Thanks everyone.
BTW most of my hunting will be western mule deer or rocky mountain elk backpacking trips.

I would stick with one of the MR packs with extended lifters. Personally, I wouldn't own an Eberlestock.

Why not????????? I have a J34 and it is great. I would be much more interested in Mystery Ranch packs if I didn't have to go to Montana to try the dang thing on. At least at Cabela's you can go and try on the different Eberlestock packs.

I can only compare the J107 and the MR.

I liked the Eberle, but upgaded to the MR last year. I have only used the Longbow as a day pack and have hauled an entire boned out deer with it. With meat, head, rifle and optics it handled 94#. It road very well. I have use the CC for a multi-day backpack trip. I think it will be big enough for a week long trip in CO later this year.

I have used the Eberlestock on a couple goat hunts and have hauled out entire boned out deer with it as well. It got the job done, but wasn't very comfortable.

There are many here that have more experience with the MR, but these are my experiences with the Eberle and the MR.

Like you, I am interested in testing out the new pack that is currently being designed by MR.

Good luck. Both good packs.

I bought the Eberle becasue of the gun scabbard design. I really like the gun sitting close to my back having my hands free for glassing. I've got the mini me and the J107 with the spike dufell. Used it today turkey hunting. Keep the decoys in the spike duffel and leaves plenty of room for birds in the main meat compartment. I also hauled a field dressed antelope last year with no problems. Havent used a MR so can't compare like MTMiller. I"d trust his opinion as he has used both.

Search is your friend.....

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=248785&highlight=longbow+jose

And then, I just started browsing the Backpacks/Equipment forum, holy shit, there are a ton of threads about Mystery Ranch products....

My two cents is that the $400 for the Mystery Ranch product is worth it, as it should be the "pack of a lifetime" and not leave you wanting to upgrade in the future.

I like my Longbow, let 2 other guys wear it carrying meat (that I shot!!!), and they have now both purchased their own Longbows. Don't let the cost scare you off on a great quality product.

Now has anyone had a problem with a lack of space for packing in on lets say a 5 - 7 day hunt? Tent,sleeping bag, pad, food, etc? Also on the mystery ranch is there the ability to strap a bow or rifle to the pack instead of having to carry in a sling or the normal means? Upgrading the belt to have pouches? Worth it for space or unnecessary as range finders and such have pouches that come with them when purchased.

Depends on how often you are going to use it as well as hoe much money you want to spend. I bought the Eberlestock BW but I will likely seldom get a chance to use it out west and on a budget. I bought it for the hunting I do around here plus a pack that can handle an elk hunt for the couple of times I hope to get out there. If I lived out West or hunted the mountains a lot more often I would spend the money and get either a MR pack or Kifaru. Whichever fit better. So far, based on my needs and funds, I have really enjoyed my Eberlestock BW and would not hesitate at picking up another Eberlestock product but I know there are better packs out there, just not at the price I bought my BW.

Now has anyone had a problem with a lack of space for packing in on lets say a 5 - 7 day hunt? Tent,sleeping bag, pad, food, etc? Also on the mystery ranch is there the ability to strap a bow or rifle to the pack instead of having to carry in a sling or the normal means? Upgrading the belt to have pouches? Worth it for space or unnecessary as range finders and such have pouches that come with them when purchased.

You can buy or make your own extra straps to lash a bow or rifle to the MR. My CrewCab has both side belt pouches and they work fine.

asking for advise on hunt talk about any pack not made by MR is a fool's errand. You will not get any help whatsover, unless hearing a chorus of BUY MR products is what you seek. Everybody done drank the MR Kool Aid.

BTW go buy the MR pack. they are great:hump:

Huntbux, I strap my bow on my MR crew cab with no problem and no extra straps. Either across the back or along the side, depending on what else I am packing at the time.

Last edited:
"Why not?????????"
I want a pack with working lifters.

Mine has worked absolutely great with heavy loads.

huntbux- Be sure to read KHunter's post. He said it very well. I'm kind of sticking my neck out here saying anything positive about Eberlestock. To be fair though I've never used a MR. I'm sure that they are also a great pack. I'd like to try one but have never gotten the chance to.

Regardless of what the other brand is, I can say that the customer service for MR is top notch. Stop by if you are rolling through the pass east of Bozeman and they will make sure your adjustments on your pack are correct, and they even shortened and sewn back some long straps for me.

Well living in Nevada I am not sure the next time I will be near Bozeman, been there once though. Hope maybe I can find one used on a site maybe next month. We shall see. Like I was saying want to keep the price down but it looks as if I will have to go with an MR pack but it will just be cost that is the question. Been using Google to search the net for a used NICE Longbow with a Medium waist belt and a small yoke. I wear a 34 inch waist belt so I was going with the larger size, but do you guys think that they are a little generous on the size and I should go with a small and a small? Was also wondering what upgrades people think are necessary. Again plan on carrying my tent, Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2, sleeping bag, Kelty Cosmic Down +0, and sleeping pad Big agnes clear view air pad 20x72, along with all my hunting gear etc. Now I am thinking about waiting a little for the new pack to come out and maybe catch someone selling a longbow, or maybe go with the new pack.

I have a J107 with no problems to speak of it does get a bit uncomfortable above 70 lbs but the pack is very well built. That said I am debating on selling it and trying a Tenzing tz5000 this fall.

You can buy or make your own extra straps to lash a bow or rifle to the MR. My CrewCab has both side belt pouches and they work fine.

You don't need anything extra on the longbow. I just undo the two side straps, tuck the scope between the pack and the frame, and strap it done. works great! I just bought the longbow towards the end of last years season and have had and elk and a bear in it so far. It is heads and tails above my last badlands...I've never owned an eberlestock, and now I never will.

Huntbux, just drink the MR kool aid... you will be glad you did. I would call or email MR with your dimensions (height, chest size, etc.) and see what they recommend. I'm 5' 8" and have a 34 waste also and by their sizing charts I should have probably got smalls, but I emailed Seacat he said go with a medium waist belt and yoke. It fits great.

As for Eberlestock vs MR. Eberlestock makes a nice pack, but if they don't really compare to the build quality of a MR.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jcarter
Back