Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Utah moose hunt 2016

dididraw

I'm new to the forum - have always enjoyed Randy's programs but just recently learned about the forum.

Here are a couple of pictures of the bull moose I took in Utah in 2016. Took 22 years of applying to get a tag. The unit was close enough that I got lots of scouting trips in and hunted 7 times before finding a mature bull.

629.jpg8252.jpg

Welcome! Awesome bull.

Man, 22 years is a long time. Was it worth the wait, or do you think you would have rather drawn multiple tags for lesser quality units?

Welcome! Awesome bull.

Man, 22 years is a long time. Was it worth the wait, or do you think you would have rather drawn multiple tags for lesser quality units?

Not to answer a question that wasn't asked to me, but I spent the first 27 years of my life as a resident of Utah, and there is no way to "draw multiple tags for lesser quality units" with moose. Moose are considered once-in-a-lifetime through the draw process (The caveat to this is a person could draw another moose tag through a special drawing that takes place at the Hunt Expo every February, or purchase a tag - CWMU or auctions).

Utah is a game of points and in 2017 there were 21,354 resident applicants for 97 tags and 6,575 nonresident applicants for 4 tags. Currently the top three highest groups of residents consist of 13 individuals with 23 points, 136 individuals with 22 points, and 319 individuals with 21 points - moral of the story - some individuals will have put in for decades and will never have a chance to hunt moose in Utah.

Back to the OP - amazing bull, thanks for sharing!

Not to answer a question that wasn't asked to me, but I spent the first 27 years of my life as a resident of Utah, and there is no way to "draw multiple tags for lesser quality units" with moose. Moose are considered once-in-a-lifetime through the draw process (The caveat to this is a person could draw another moose tag through a special drawing that takes place at the Hunt Expo every February, or purchase a tag - CWMU or auctions).

Utah is a game of points and in 2017 there were 21,354 resident applicants for 97 tags and 6,575 nonresident applicants for 4 tags. Currently the top three highest groups of residents consist of 13 individuals with 23 points, 136 individuals with 22 points, and 319 individuals with 21 points - moral of the story - some individuals will have put in for decades and will never have a chance to hunt moose in Utah.

Back to the OP - amazing bull, thanks for sharing!

Jeff answered question perfectly. Utah has four once-in-a-lifetime species (sheep, goats, moose, bison) and residents are only allowed to apply for one of the four. One essentially has to pick one and stick with it until they draw or pass away (fortunately I drew first). This was probably the worst species to choose at the beginning because the populations of the other species have increased over 20 years while moose have populations have gone down. But once I started down the path I stuck to it.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back