Mule deer hunt

Great buck UintaYeti! That's exactly what I'm dreaming of being primarily a bowhunter. What state did you hunt? If you don't mind me asking.

Thank you! This was in UT on a unit that you have a good percentage chance of drawing with 0 points for an archery tag.

You will do better hunting the same unit year after year than you will waiting 3 years and getting high expectations for a better unit.

Hard to draw tags does not always equal big bucks or easy hunting. I know a NR who burned max points on an WY elk hunt last year and ate the tag.

If you are dead set on hunting one of the hard to draw units see about whitetail tags, doe tags, antelope tags, etc to get some experience in the area first.

Nice! Looks like some awesome country in the background! Seems to be some good glassing ground too.

Getting up high where you are able to glass lots of good deer habitat was key for me. Nothing like sitting on top of a mountain watching the sunrise and seeing deer pour out of the woods. Is it August yet?

I have hunted Colorado the past 6 years, in the 2nd rifle season and we haven taken 2 deer now over the 180 mark. one scoring 210 and the other was 181 or so. We see a lot of deer and can expect to take a buck between the 130 and 140 range. It takes usually one point or so to draw. Maybe we have just been lucky or go places where others don't want to go. I go with a group of about 4 to 6 depending on the year. Hope this helps and good luck where ever you pick!

Well Kybowhunter glad to see you're gonna come out here to chase mulies around. Like others have already said, there are plenty of opportunities in many states to take good animals. If you're interested in NV (which does not offer any otc tags) and possibly want to build some points up over a couple years, here is a link to get you doing some research for at least one state out here.

http://www.ndow.org/uploadedFiles/n...s/2017 Mule Deer Harvest by Unit Group_v3.pdf

Hope it works.

This was a buck my good friend and I took in a unit that has decent NR odds of drawing here in NV.
1385844_649881935052407_555222016_n copy.jpg

It'll definitely take a lot to beat this guy.

I'm planning on spending a week trying, at least, this fall. My biggest mulie is a pipsqueak. Not that it really matters, but I like to have goals, and that one will do just fine, as would UnitaYeti's. I'm a killer of babies in comparison.

UnitaYeti's is a gem for sure. Big or small they're all trophies to me! I know everyone says it, but a trophy hunt to me is measured by the adventure itself, not what is sitting on an animal's dome. It doesn't hurt running across 180+ or 340+ animals though haha!

I hate to resurrect an old dead thread but I was searching for some mule deer hunting information and found this old thread. I also found this webpage that went into some good detail. It focuses on archery hunting but each of those states can be applied to any type of mule deer hunting. Here's the link I am talking about.

https://www.ehuntr.com/top-four-states/

I went on my first public land DIY archery mule deer hunt last year. I was in your same boat, and I had 0 points in any state, so I knew I would be going over the counter. Luckily as a bowhunter there are a lot of really quality OTC units in many western states.

My suggestion would be to go for an OTC hunt so you can get your feet wet before putting a lot of time/money/points into trying to go after a big one on a hard to draw unit. If you do your homework and get further back than most you have a great chance at being successful.

I was lucky enough to get this awesome buck on my 2nd day of the hunt. It was an amazing experience and I can't wait to do it again.

View attachment 82954
I would be very happy with a buck like that

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back