Dying Breed

Mikeflies

Does anyone here still lever action rifles? I bought a 338MXLR last year and think its the best rifle I have ever owned. I know, I know. You always love the last rifle you buy the best, but thats not true. I have bought another rifle since and sold it due to the fact I just like the lever action rifle more. I am a Cowboy at heart and just love the old westerns and the rifles and maybe thats why, but I just wanted to know if I am a dying breed or what?

I think they are pretty cool. I used to have a Rossi 357mag with an oversized loop lever. It was awesome. I never used it for hunting, some varmits around the farm time to time. I traded it for a full body turkey mount. The mount is special because it was from and old hunting buddy that passed away. But I wish I still had the rifle, it was fun.

I'd like to get a Marlin guide gun 45/70 some day.

30-30 Marlin and a 7mag #1 in safe but still pine for the 25-06 #1 I traded away years back.

I have a winchester 30-30, and my favorite gun so far is a Marlin .444. I have my sights set on the 308 marlin express. Have you taken anything with your 338? How were the Lever revelution bullets?

I just bought a Marlin 30-30 & I am tring to work out a deal for another Marlin Zane Grey w/octagon barrel. God I hope my wife does not read this...She will be MAD.

I have two marlins in the safe one 30-30 and a 35rem. They are both a lot of fun to shoot and the 35 is a great deer and bear gun here in the thick timber of western wa.

Have a 30/30 and a marlin 1895 in 45/70 i shoot 405gr cast bullets, absolutely deadly on wild pigs. if i ever decide to shoot a bear over bait itll be the gun i take.

Love my Marlin 45-70! Don't know how long I will be able to stay with the open sights though, might have to scope it this year! I really hate getting old!

My brothers and I all started out carrying my dad's uncle's old Winchester model 64 in 30-30, awesome gun for blacktails in the timber. I do have my dad's Model 99 in .300 savage, he always shot a lever gun because he's left handed.

This is my first deer gun (Win. model 94). My dad, who passed away in 1990, told me that he bought it in Colorado when he was stationed there in the army in the 1940's. He told me that he bought it from "some cowboy" and that the gun rode on the horse with the cowboy. At that time I was little and often wondered if he embelished the story a little...LOL. Either way the gun is a "TREASURE" for me & has taken down a lot of Pennsylvania whitetails. Only comes out once a year for a few practice shots.

picture.php

good luck to all
the dog

I killed my first deer with my dads WW-2 era Savage 99, .300 Savage. My brother has right now.

One of those SS Guide guns in 45-70 has been on my "list" for a long time, maybe some day.

I killed my first deer with my dads WW-2 era Savage 99, .300 Savage. My brother has right now.

+1 On the Savage 300. I don't think my brother could shoot anything else. When he was younger and shooting at an animal instead of a spot on an animal, he could put more rounds through that thing and reload before we knew was he was doing. My first (owned) rifle is my pre-64 Win 30-30 that I was given for my 14th birthday. Keep it with me for a truck gun and have a padded box behind the seat with an open end where it resides every Ocotober. Probably haven't put two rounds through it in 10 years.

Had to fire up the "Way Back Machine" on this one. The first time I layed down money for a deer rifle was back in the early 60's when I picked up a 94 .30-30. First day in the woods I made a spectacular running neck shot on a 4-pt blacktail (my second deer). John Wayne would have been proud. After a couple of years I traded it in for my first bolt gun.

But, having an appreciation for the good old days I ran across a new #1 .38-55 at a gun show. Made a deal and took it home. Hand loaded it is a real shooter...255 gr Barnes @ 2240 fps has more energy than standard factory .30-06/180 gr.

The next question is who likes to hunt with open sights?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back