PEAX Equipment

Thunder Basin National Grassland

propane_cooker

My brother and I are looking to start applying for antelope in Wyoming. We are from Manitoba, Canada. We would probably be looking at trying to make it happen in 2019 or 2020. Have done some looking and research and have got it in my head that doing a hike in and tent camp hunt in Thunder Basin National Grassland in the SW corner of Unit 7 would be a cool experience. Thinking that we could collect a couple preference points over the next couple years and then have it be a sure thing when we decide to pull the trigger. I see that the unit is listed as having "difficult public access" but it seems like there is quite a bit of public land available. Am I totally out in left field or is this an ok idea? Any advice or info would be great, don't need any honey holes or anything and we aren't looking for trophies, just a cool backcountry experience. Thanks in advance.

Just because it’s public doesn’t mean it isn’t landlocked by private land. It’s a problem in parts of Wyoming

Looking at the map that looks like a solid plan to me. I'd call the WGFD office in Casper and talk to the biologist for 7 to confirm the antelope population in that corner of the Grasslands. Also call the Forest Service office in Douglas and request the Motor Vehicle Use Map for that portion of the Grasslands. Maybe research a few other lower demand units as drawing odds can really change in a few years time.

If your liking the grasslands, and will have a couple points, why not look at 23?

23 is mostly private land, other than up in the nw part and they decreased the tags for up there and made a Type 2 that covers the bulk of the unit and is for private land only. The Type 1 tag is doable if drawn, but it gets hammered now and is not typical antelope country that people think of for the most part.

Looking at the county roads and MVUM it doesn't look there are too many areas in 7 to "hike in" and get a backcountry experience. I have hunted a unit out there with less accessible land and still had a good hunt. I would definitely talk to the biologist though since in Unit 27 just to the SW the doe tags are private land only which could mean that the population was taking a big hit from hunting.

23 is mostly private land, other than up in the nw part and they decreased the tags for up there and made a Type 2 that covers the bulk of the unit and is for private land only. The Type 1 tag is doable if drawn, but it gets hammered now and is not typical antelope country that people think of for the most part.

Fat fingered it ment 27

You'd have a good time in 7 but like JDH said, packing in really isn't feasible. Unless it's totally on principle and you just want to do it for funsies. There are a million trails in the grasslands and you really won't be able to get into many areas more than a mile from a road.

At the risk of pissing a few people off, unit 26 is probably your best bet for getting away from roads and hiking in the grassland.

At the risk of pissing a few people off, unit 26 is probably your best bet for getting away from roads and hiking in the grassland.

Pm sent; you didn’t piss me off just piqued my curiosity!

I hunted this a couple years ago and other than up by intersection of 59 & 385 didn’t see hardly any Nat’l Grasslands. Seemed like the bulk of that was 27 & 29.

I hunted 7 in ‘10 and while there weren’t huge swaths of Nat’l GL there was a lot of great habitat and beautiful country in which to hunt! Lots of WIA land.

Good luck coming down from up above, eh!?

Last edited:
Pm sent; you didn’t piss me off just piqued my curiosity!

I hunted this a couple years ago and other than up by intersection of 59 & 385 didn’t see hardly any Nat’l Grasslands. Seemed like the bulk of that was 27 & 29.

I hunted 7 in ‘10 and while there weren’t huge swaths of Nat’l GL there was a lot of great habitat and beautiful country in which to hunt! Lots of WIA land.

Good luck coming down from up above, eh!?

When I was there a few years ago the Natl Grasslands in 26 held less animals that anywhere else in the unit.

Thanks very much for all the information everyone. I really appreciate it. Can do all the internet planning you want but hard to get an actual feel for the area unless you talk to someone who has actually been there. With the timeline being pretty solid at 2020 kinda thinking now we will shoot for Unit 27 with 7 as a backup. Hard to beat having all that National Grassland to roam around on. Will talk to the biologists for the areas and get their take. From the looks of the MVUM 27 isn't going to be a "backcountry" experience either. Oh well, can still camp out there. I don't have anything against roads but would rather not be overly crowded, maybe with some good map study we can find some hidey holes. Is there any particular reason Unit 27 takes 4 points to draw and 7 you can draw with 1? Just more accessible land makes it more desirable? Pretty preliminary planning right now so things might change down the line. Gotta start somewhere though. Thanks again everyone!

Thanks very much for all the information everyone. I really appreciate it. Can do all the internet planning you want but hard to get an actual feel for the area unless you talk to someone who has actually been there. With the timeline being pretty solid at 2020 kinda thinking now we will shoot for Unit 27 with 7 as a backup. Hard to beat having all that National Grassland to roam around on. Will talk to the biologists for the areas and get their take. From the looks of the MVUM 27 isn't going to be a "backcountry" experience either. Oh well, can still camp out there. I don't have anything against roads but would rather not be overly crowded, maybe with some good map study we can find some hidey holes. Is there any particular reason Unit 27 takes 4 points to draw and 7 you can draw with 1? Just more accessible land makes it more desirable? Pretty preliminary planning right now so things might change down the line. Gotta start somewhere though. Thanks again everyone!

No, 27 won't be a backcountry experience. In general though, backcountry and antelope don't go together. If you want to walk in 5 miles somewhere, pick up a tag in 16.

As for 27 versus 7, I'd say the amount of public land is the main reason. Although with how big 7 is, I don't know if 27 has significant more acreage of public land. 7 still has plenty.

If you go the second weekend you will probably have it to yourself. If a big buck is really what you are after getting there early and shooting it at first light on opening morning would be best.

If you want to walk in and camp 27 and 29 both have nice areas for that. Not really "Backcountry", but nice experience.

If you go the second weekend you will probably have it to yourself. If a big buck is really what you are after getting there early and shooting it at first light on opening morning would be best.

If you want to walk in and camp 27 and 29 both have nice areas for that. Not really "Backcountry", but nice experience.

27 would definitely be a good camping experience. You may even hear some elk bugling.

This is a great reminder of how many awesome areas there are to hunt even w/o any points!

I love Wyoming probghorn...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back