Hey WY & MT, time to catch up

The phone app is a waste of money, time, and energy. Just print off the license and tag and go about your business like before. You're still required to "physically tag" the animal even if you have the app, in addition to electronically tagging it.

The phone app is a waste of money, time, and energy. Just print off the license and tag and go about your business like before. You're still required to "physically tag" the animal even if you have the app, in addition to electronically tagging it.

??? I didn't understand that from the article. If that is in fact the case then I retract my post -- that's just stupid.

??? I didn't understand that from the article. If that is in fact the case then I retract my post -- that's just stupid.

"Paper tag:
Validate your tag by writing in ink the harvest date/time and Wildlife Management Unit where the harvest occurred. Place paper tag in a plastic bag to protect it from the elements and attach it to the carcass.

Electronic tag (cell phone or tablet):
Validate your tag electronically with an app that will work even when offline. Then take the confirmation number from the app plus your name, ODFW ID, Date of Birth, harvest date and write it on anything that will stand up to the elements (like duct tape, trail ribbon or piece of paper in plastic bag), affix it to the animal like a traditional tag and keep it attached to the carcass in transport, as you would a paper tag."

Do you really think states collecting that data would release that information? Of course not. It would betray trust of the people collecting that data for them. But there are some management based decisions that would benefit from that kind of information. Particularly with CWD.

They already release that information in case you haven't been looking closely at the state websites, although it's just by unit and doesn't have any GPS site coordinates. All you need to do is go on the Wyoming G&F site, for instance, and the harvest rates for whatever and wherever you want are readily available and have been able to for many years. That at least narrows the filed down to certain units to look at.

Last edited:
They already release that information in case you haven't been looking closely at the state websites, although it's just by unit and doesn't have any GPS site coordinates. All you need to do is go on the Wyoming G&F site, for instance, and the harvest rates for whatever and wherever you want are readily available and have been able to for many years. That at least narrows the filed down to certain units to look at.

I’m sure you’ll be quick to disagree, but Wyoming’s harvest report does not give harvest location info. So no, they don’t already release that info no matter how closely you look at the website, because they don’t even collect those data except for disease samples.

I’m sure you’ll be quick to disagree, but Wyoming’s harvest report does not give harvest location info. So no, they don’t already release that info no matter how closely you look at the website, because they don’t even collect those data except for disease samples.

Yep; you're right that I'll have to disagree with you just like you stated in that although they don't have GPS information they certainly do give harvest stats for each animal by the unit numbers, herd units, method of take etc., and it has nothing to do with disease samples taken whatsoever! You can click on this 2017 link for the antelope stats for that year and go back in for every year since 2012 for antelope or any other game you wish to look at:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/Harvest Reports/HR2017_Antelope.pdf

Last edited:
Yep; you're right that I'll have to disagree with you just like you stated in that although they don't have GPS information they certainly do give harvest stats for each animal by the unit numbers, herd units, method of take etc., and it has nothing to do with disease samples taken whatsoever! You can click on this 2017 link for the antelope stats for that year and go back in for every year since 2012 for antelope or any other game you wish to look at:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/Harvest Reports/HR2017_Antelope.pdf

I’m very familiar with the harvest report. But thanks bro.

I’m very familiar with the harvest report. But thanks bro.

You're obviously not familiar or didn't express yourself properly based on your post saying they don't keep any harvest stats like I posted, but just disease sample stats and my last post completely disproved your statement BRO!

514A2BE0-27C9-4894-8012-933812789806.jpg
You're obviously not familiar or didn't express yourself properly based on your post saying they don't keep any harvest stats like I posted, but just disease sample stats and my last post completely disproved your statement BRO!

Just stop dude. We’re both saying that the harvest report doesn’t show location of harvest. I just added that the only time lat/long are collected is for lymph nodes and brucellosis samples. We’re not disagreeing. So stop.

Bob: they have this for turkey in Nebraska. I buy a tag and hunt. If I shoot a tom (and I am way out in the boonies) I have the option of buying another tag online (in Nebraska you can shoot up to three toms in the spring). No need in Nebraska to "physically tag the bird". Not sure if they have this for big game species. Also in New Mexico you do NOT need to physically tag the animal (elk), just have the license in hand.

good luck to all
the dog

Bob: they have this for turkey in Nebraska. I buy a tag and hunt. If I shoot a tom (and I am way out in the boonies) I have the option of buying another tag online (in Nebraska you can shoot up to three toms in the spring). No need in Nebraska to "physically tag the bird". Not sure if they have this for big game species. Also in New Mexico you do NOT need to physically tag the animal (elk), just have the license in hand.

good luck to all
the dog

The Nebraska system is pretty slick, and I think also applies to big game the same as turkeys.

I also think NM changed this year to add a carcass tag. I drew a quota Barbary sheep this year and the tag came with a peel and stick portion to wrap around one of the 35” horns on the ram I’m going to shoot :D

Her we go again with another one of these guys that has to chime in to pile it on when it's not needed! My initial comment was in reference to statements made by two other members regarding states showing harvest rate by maps and the other stating that would not be proper for people who volunteered their stats. My comment was that Wyoming has released harvest stats in various ways for years, but not GPS coordinates, and I showed the link for antelope. I can't help it if madtom didn't "splain" exactly what he meant, but in reading his response it certainly appears he was saying they don't release any stats other than for disease samples. Sorry that I couldn't understand what his intent was, but put in a way as to be confusing to say the least. All he needed to do was say what he finally did in his last post and everything would have been fine. Let's move on now that he says we're on the same page!

Talking now about tagging or not tagging game in the field, I'm very surprised that any state would relax their rules on tagging since through the years most have been very strict with Montana even citing the guy several years ago because he didn't "immediately" tag his bull elk even though he did before it was moved from the kill site. That actually ended up in a big flap that got the law changed the following season with "immediately" being removed. IMHO as long as the person has the proper license/tag and follows the law by using that tag when he kills an animal it was issued for it seems a little ridiculous to require it to be attached as long as he has it with him up to and through transport to his home or a processor.

We were talking SPECIFICALLY about GPS coordinates. But thanks! I’m familiar with harvest reports.

We were talking SPECIFICALLY about GPS coordinates. But thanks! I’m familiar with harvest reports.

Okay, I got it by now and you didn't need to tell me that, but I'm glad you knew what I was referring to and now those who didn't know do. I know GPS coordinates were mentioned. However, if you look in your post #17 where you quoted elkmagnet it appeared to me that he was strictly mentioning shaded maps since he did not SPECIFICALLY mention GPS coordinates. In your response to him I then mistook you as talking about the shaded map comment and made my post. I don't know why madtom even came on because I SPECIFICALLY bolded my comment that what I was talking about did not refer to GPS stuff, but just stats themselves. This was all caused IMHO by a lack of fully communicating what each post was talking about and I apologize for even making a post on this thread that got such a mess going over nothing as it turned out!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back