Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Squirrels! It's Whats for Supper

I’m with GH. This seems to be a regional thing I have lived in MT my whole life and not once I have heard of anyone here eating squirrels.

I did see a meateater episode where Steve and Remi ate a coyote.

I'm open to eating most anything. Our squirrels are quit small compared to other areas in the US. I think the next Beaver and Bobcat will be on the menu for next winter.

I always grow popcorn in my garden. This year the squirrels ate it all. If I can get my hands on one of them, I'll try this recipe for sure.

Agree with the other guys from MT...it has to be a regional thing and I don't recall anyone from Montana, ever mentioning eating squirrels.

My December elk trip to AZ was an eye opener, actually saw people hunting albert's squirrels...would have never guessed.

It may be somewhat of a regional thing, but you need to remember that Pine squirrels and fox squirrels are quite different. I just watched a video, where some Montana guys were eating the nuts off a bison.... would have never guessed. I'll stick with fried fox squirrel.

Agree with the other guys from MT...it has to be a regional thing and I don't recall anyone from Montana, ever mentioning eating squirrels.

My December elk trip to AZ was an eye opener, actually saw people hunting albert's squirrels...would have never guessed.

Buzz, Abert's are one of the best eating squirrels in the country. I killed 30 of them my last year in Arizona. They are as good as any acorn-raised fox squirrel in the Midwest.

Don't knock 'til you try it. They are WAY better than elk or pronghorn.

And if you can't afford (or live long enough to draw) a sheep slam, you can always go for a squirrel slam
https://www.fieldandstream.com/g00/...eferrer=&i10c.ua=1&i10c.dv=11#node-1001458293

What people don't know about squirrel hunting is amazing.

Squirrel is good stuff. My mom used to braise them in the pressure cooker until they were fall-off-the-bone tender. I always preferred grays to fox squirrels for eating, but the fox squirrels had pretty well crowded out the grays back in Minnesota. Red (pine) squirrels are generally not worth the trouble, they're a third the size of a good fat gray or fox squirrel. There really aren't any squirrels in Montana other than reds, so I'm stuck with bunnies. I was hoping to bag a couple of jacks to try Hank Shaw's Sardinian Hare Stew sometime, but Rinella's experience with fleas has put me off it somewhat.

Buzz, Abert's are one of the best eating squirrels in the country. I killed 30 of them my last year in Arizona. They are as good as any acorn-raised fox squirrel in the Midwest.

Don't knock 'til you try it. They are WAY better than elk or pronghorn.

And if you can't afford (or live long enough to draw) a sheep slam, you can always go for a squirrel slam
https://www.fieldandstream.com/g00/...eferrer=&i10c.ua=1&i10c.dv=11#node-1001458293

What people don't know about squirrel hunting is amazing.

That's awesome! It is amazing what people don't know about squirrel hunting. Even when in a heavy squirrel area there is more method and thought to it than simply walking around killing them.

As for the grand slam, I don't know if it is taxonomy different but there is what is called a Bachman's fox squirrel. My personnel favorite. Larger than normal fox squirrels, the red color often isn't as rich and more of a orange, and grey is a lighter shade. Plus the tips of the nose, ears, feet, and tail will have some white added. Seen one with an entire white tail. They're niche is the Florida Parishes of Louisiana and extend into Mississippi. Historically those areas were mature long leaf pine forests, which area almost completely gone, and that is the habitat they prefer. We don't see many anymore so they get a free pass.
Bachman's.jpg
Black variations of fox squirrels are also common in bottom land areas along the Mississippi River. Think that could be another squirrel to add to the slam list.

oh, the good old days. I grew up hunting and eating squirrels. Moved west and now hunt bigger critters, but I always loved a well-grilled squirrel.

I'm seriously considering a pine squirrel hunt after rifle season...partially in spite but mostly in curiosity of their flavor

Do it. Everyone on here and every time squirrels come up on meat eater podcast I hear of yall's pine squirrel and how it's not worth it. Out of curiosity as well I'd like to see a good size reference and a food review.

That's awesome! It is amazing what people don't know about squirrel hunting. Even when in a heavy squirrel area there is more method and thought to it than simply walking around killing them.

As for the grand slam, I don't know if it is taxonomy different but there is what is called a Bachman's fox squirrel. My personnel favorite. Larger than normal fox squirrels, the red color often isn't as rich and more of a orange, and grey is a lighter shade. Plus the tips of the nose, ears, feet, and tail will have some white added. Seen one with an entire white tail. They're niche is the Florida Parishes of Louisiana and extend into Mississippi. Historically those areas were mature long leaf pine forests, which area almost completely gone, and that is the habitat they prefer. We don't see many anymore so they get a free pass.
View attachment 90442
Black variations of fox squirrels are also common in bottom land areas along the Mississippi River. Think that could be another squirrel to add to the slam list.
That is a cool looking squirrel! In North Carolina, they have some Fox squirrels that get almost 2 feet long, not including the tail!
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article222294420.html

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back