Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Cheap Rifle Shootout

I’ve got a couple of savage axis rifles with the accutrigger. Both bought as packages with a cheap weaver scope. Both perform well, although they’re homely. My advice from this thread is have him pick up some “budget” guns and see what he likes the feel of. I don’t think there’s too much out there that’s just junk anymore.

I’ve got a couple of savage axis rifles with the accutrigger. Both bought as packages with a cheap weaver scope. Both perform well, although they’re homely. My advice from this thread is have him pick up some “budget” guns and see what he likes the feel of. I don’t think there’s too much out there that’s just junk anymore.

I agree with this. I have a Rem. 783, and I've shot a couple Savages and the Mossberg Patriot. As long as you get a model with the Accutrigger (or similar like the 783), they're all pretty decent shooters even if they lack in aesthetics, lol. Take him to Bass Pro or something and have him hold each and see which one feels the best. They'll all probably be plenty accurate out to 300-400 yards.

Savage 110, Ruger American, Howa, Rem 700 ADL would be my choices. As stated the Rem 700 is the most customizable in the future. I'm not sure about the scopes that are on package rifles however they should do their job as long as you don't intend on "turning dials".

I have 4 Savage rifles (3 110s and 1 model 12) and all of them shoot subMOA using my loads. Most of them will do 1/2" groups with little or no effort.

Good, used Savage 110s pop up fairly often, on racks and forums. I have a Ruger American .308 that is a half-moa rifle with Hornady Interlocks, at 2910 fps. I am a real fan of the 110s, though.

Those price guns are everywhere. I've got a 700 ADL a friend bought me that's really accurate but then I'm a big 700 fan to begin with. What wasn't on the list was the Mossberg Patriot. I've got two of them. The Patriot in 243 shoot's right along with my 700 ADL 243. The second, a 308, I got just to play with cast bullet's with. You can get most in a package or I got two 2-7x Redfield's off Amazon for about $150 each, really like them.

Your brother in law needs to go out and look at rifles and see what he likes!

Personally very happy with a couple of Ruger Americans I own. A 223 for plinking groundhogs and a 7mm-08 that I tend to use for hogs. (Would be a great deer gun around here, but I don't have property where they allow use of centerfire.) Both have been accurate my use out to 200yds. I have set mine up with Nikon Prostaff scopes. Don't have any experience with Savage, etc. so can't compare. I actually sold a 700 ADL (.223) after shooting the Ruger. I was more accurate with the Ruger.

Thanks guys! I forgot to add the Mossberg Patriot to the list. Appreciate you guys mentioning that.

He lives in WI and therefore will use it almost solely for whitetails. However, as with any kid's first gun, I'd like to make it capable for taking anything. Calibers are more important for that, and weight and aesthetics are to be considered, but accuracy, reliability, and durability are paramount for him.

I'll need to get myself in to handle some of them and check out the used rack someday here.

I haven't seen anything on the Winchester XPR on here. Anyone have any experience with them? The reason I ask is that I love the Model 70 and this seems like a cheap version of it. I could be totally incorrect.

The TC compass gets good reviews on the cheap. Kentucky gun company has them for $259 with a $50 rebate right now. They even have a Vortex Crossfire combo for $359. Worth a look

The TC compass gets good reviews on the cheap. Kentucky gun company has them for $259 with a $50 rebate right now. They even have a Vortex Crossfire combo for $359. Worth a look

My friend actually has one as well. They do shoot great and the Vortex deal is really great. The problem is that they have absolutely no polish and finish to them. I've had paintball guns with better finish. BUT if they shoot and are durable looks and feel are secondary in this scenario.

My friend actually has one as well. They do shoot great and the Vortex deal is really great. The problem is that they have absolutely no polish and finish to them. I've had paintball guns with better finish. BUT if they shoot and are durable looks and feel are secondary in this scenario.

Yeah for $300 with a scope I would be hard to look the other way based on reviews. I damn near talked myself into one a couple times lately. I just can't justify another ugly rifle when I got some pretty ones a home

Pretty is only relevant, if they out shoot the ugly!

Hands down I'll take a pretty gun that shoots decently over an ugly one that shoots one hole for hunting. There's just something about the asthetics of a walnut stock, smooth machining, and small touch finishing that gives me a little tickle.

However, for a kid with $500 to spend, we can find something that can be upgraded eventually to be pretty.

Ive got a savage 110 in 30-06. Great gun. Just dropped a cow elk at 240 yards yesterday. If you end up with a savage, pull the action bolts and put some nail polish on them. Ive had a few problems with accuracy before i started doing that. I also have a savage edge in 223 which is the old version of the axis. The triggers suck! They are very hard to shoot accurately with like an eight pound pull. If you buy an axis plan on puting a $100 timney trigger in it. I would opt for a 110 with the accutrigger.

Thanks guys! I forgot to add the Mossberg Patriot to the list. Appreciate you guys mentioning that.

He lives in WI and therefore will use it almost solely for whitetails. However, as with any kid's first gun, I'd like to make it capable for taking anything. Calibers are more important for that, and weight and aesthetics are to be considered, but accuracy, reliability, and durability are paramount for him.

I'll need to get myself in to handle some of them and check out the used rack someday here.

I haven't seen anything on the Winchester XPR on here. Anyone have any experience with them? The reason I ask is that I love the Model 70 and this seems like a cheap version of it. I could be totally incorrect.

The "however" I disagree with. The first rifle for me should be very easy to shoot. Get to much so he can hunt everything and you could turn him off. Also when ever I read that, I think of people looking to buy a first timer some ungodly recoiling rifle, aw hell, he'll grow into it. Or, with managed recoil loads it's like shooting a 308! Hate to mention this but for some people a 308 has a lot of recoil and you never know till it's shot!

I think one of the best starter cartridge's today just may be the 6.5 Creedmoor. Never shot one but read a lot about them. Should be a bit milder than a 7mm-08. And surprise of surprise's, lot of people claim it makes a pretty fair elk cartridge!

The "however" I disagree with. The first rifle for me should be very easy to shoot. Get to much so he can hunt everything and you could turn him off. Also when ever I read that, I think of people looking to buy a first timer some ungodly recoiling rifle, aw hell, he'll grow into it. Or, with managed recoil loads it's like shooting a 308! Hate to mention this but for some people a 308 has a lot of recoil and you never know till it's shot!

I think one of the best starter cartridge's today just may be the 6.5 Creedmoor. Never shot one but read a lot about them. Should be a bit milder than a 7mm-08. And surprise of surprise's, lot of people claim it makes a pretty fair elk cartridge!

I completely understand where you're coming from Don. I'm thinking about moving him towards a .308, 30-06 or 270. Nothing more than that. He's not a tiny kid is 16 by now. My inlaws aren't a hunting family an I'm trying to get him into the lifestyle. I won't murder his shoulder.

I completely understand where you're coming from Don. I'm thinking about moving him towards a .308, 30-06 or 270. Nothing more than that. He's not a tiny kid is 16 by now. My inlaws aren't a hunting family an I'm trying to get him into the lifestyle. I won't murder his shoulder.

I’d stick with .243, 6.5manbun or max 7mm08 for first timer.

I'm the king of cheap rifles. I just can't help myself when it comes to them.

The Savage 12 FV is not only my most accurate rifle, it was also my cheapest to date. It cost me $230 at Cabelas on sale. It shoots single holes at 100 yds and the action is stout and smooth. It's front heavy but good for target/varmint.

I also have a T/C Compass, and a Browning AB3. They both cost under $300 after rebates and shoot very well.

Thinking the Savage 12FV will be for me if they go on sale again this year :)

I went to our local Scheels last night and got to handle all that they had in stock. The thing I didn't get to check out was the triggers, but I'm assuming that the AccuTrigger will probably be the best of the bunch?

Out of all the guns I tried I like the fit and finish of the Savage 110 "Engage Hunter" (I think that's what it's called) the best. It also has a better scope (Bushnell Engage) than the other package options. The Remington 700 ADL is a 700, but the scope that comes with it would be best suited for an airgun. It's still a pretty decent deal at Scheels but I think the brand name scope will last him longer than the no-name before replacement. Additionally, I really like the ability of the 110 stock to have the length of pull adjusted. He's 16 and should be decently close to done growing, but having one that can fit him perfectly is really appealing.

I was actually impressed with the Patriot as well. The bolt was smooth and one actually came with a cheap walnut stock, which I liked, but you could tell it was cheaply made. That did make it a touch more appealing to me, but I'm sure the kid won't care.

I’d stick with .243, 6.5manbun or max 7mm08 for first timer.

.243 is great for deer, but I wouldn't personally trust it on elk. 6.5 or 7-08 is an option to be discussed with him. I'd like to get a 6.5 or 7-08 myself soon here anyway for messing with reloading.

It's just tough to beat a .308/30-06 as far as all-around big game cartridge in my opinion. I'm a little old school (although not really old myself...). Additionally, my entire hunting group shoots an '06. No other cartridge was an option when I was growing up so everyone could share ammo and nobody would mix theirs up with a different cartridge. Things have changed a bit now, but the rules of deer camp are still to be considered. I'd love to work up a load that works well for both of our guns so there would be less messing around in the future.

Back