Elitist Hunters

"I am not a ....single issue voter."
Hey, whaddya' know, me neither!:rolleyes: And I bet a whole bunch of others aren't either, a tough concept for some to digest:hump:..................

Good Morning VG, bold statement this early in the AM. One thing we have in common, both dumb enough to look at this stuff on the wake up:p
"And many who gladly declare on this forum that they are". You aren't singling out the 2A guys are you??;)
Show of hands for single issue voters??

Good Morning VG, bold statement this early in the AM. One thing we have in common, both dumb enough to look at this stuff on the wake up:p
"And many who gladly declare on this forum that they are". You aren't singling out the 2A guys are you??;)
Show of hands for single issue voters??

Not sure what 2A guys refer to.

Not worth the time to cut-n-paste various comments, but plenty of posts have folks claiming PLT issues are how they pick their politicians.

I am just a middle of the road guy who tries to correct legal misunderstandings along the way - and the long-term veracity of personal 2nd amendment rights are one of those oft misunderstood topics.

The original post was about an Op-Ed from Tom Healy. I am acquainted with Tom. He is truly a regular guy. A small businessman who works with his hands and tools. Raises cool bird dogs. Hunts. Every time I have been in his presence, he's wearing a beater t-shirt and well worn carharts. I won't presume to speak for him directly - but I bet he is not at all a one issue voter.

but I bet he is not at all a one issue voter.

Never suggested he was, and I wasn't even responding to the particular article, but rather to a response that said we had to care more about PL than gun rights as the 2nd amendment fixes the guns question - which is largely true today, but unlikely true over the coming years.

I also don't care if someone is a single issue voter - to each their own. My comment about single issue was to provide context that I was not a NRA promoting single issue guy - not to call out others who might be - to each there own.

And I still don't know what a 2A guy is.

dukes_daddy, can you at least acknowledge that you were wrong about BHA? I saw some pretty solid first-hand information from at least 3 different hunt talkers that refuted your presumptions. Your opinion was worthwhile to share because others may have had the same bad impression about BHA, but it would be nice to see acknowledgement that at least some of your accusations were off basis.

I am not a BHA member myself, yet, so I have no emotional attachment to the group (in case you are thinking that I'm just butt hurt).

dukes_daddy, can you at least acknowledge that you were wrong about BHA? I saw some pretty solid first-hand information from at least 3 different hunt talkers that refuted your presumptions. Your opinion was worthwhile to share because others may have had the same bad impression about BHA, but it would be nice to see acknowledgement that at least some of your accusations were off basis.

I am not a BHA member myself, yet, so I have no emotional attachment to the group (in case you are thinking that I'm just butt hurt).

Former member myself and these are my opinions on BHA and differences.

- BHA priority of preservation over conservation. Public land management needs to spread a big tent among users and interested parties. I don't see BHA encouragement of this philosophy like other groups; RMEF, Nature Conservancy, DU, etc. Absolute position on national monuments without question on how does the designation affect land management including propagation of wildlife.

- BHA emphasis on protest over politics. BHA members rally to protest and express contempt for politicians they have difference of opinion with. Civil dialogue is based on showing up to vote, express opinion during public meetings and in communication with duly elected leadership.

- BHA lack of focus to fund or volunteer towards conservation and hands on programs. There are people who pontificate and those who act. SFW, RMEF, NRA, DU, etc, etc rally to fund, volunteer, and educate the public and our youth. Also Pint Nights don't allow engagement of people who don't drink or don't want to meet in a bar and what is the message to the public.

- BHA alignment with organizations and individuals who have not clearly demonstrated support for hunting in the past. Organizations and individuals contribute and collaborate to affect change and BHA should evaluate who and why they align with more closely.

- BHA hysteria of PLT. Utah gets the blame for the PLT discussion and I accept that. What gets lost in those discussions is any willingness to hear why people feel federal land management does not involve or recognize their interests.

Troy Rushton

Former member myself and these are my opinions on BHA and differences.

- BHA priority of preservation over conservation. Public land management needs to spread a big tent among users and interested parties. I don't see BHA encouragement of this philosophy like other groups; RMEF, Nature Conservancy, DU, etc. Absolute position on national monuments without question on how does the designation affect land management including propagation of wildlife.

- BHA emphasis on protest over politics. BHA members rally to protest and express contempt for politicians they have difference of opinion with. Civil dialogue is based on showing up to vote, express opinion during public meetings and in communication with duly elected leadership.

- BHA lack of focus to fund or volunteer towards conservation and hands on programs. There are people who pontificate and those who act. SFW, RMEF, NRA, DU, etc, etc rally to fund, volunteer, and educate the public and our youth. Also Pint Nights don't allow engagement of people who don't drink or don't want to meet in a bar and what is the message to the public.

- BHA alignment with organizations and individuals who have not clearly demonstrated support for hunting in the past. Organizations and individuals contribute and collaborate to affect change and BHA should evaluate who and why they align with more closely.

- BHA hysteria of PLT. Utah gets the blame for the PLT discussion and I accept that. What gets lost in those discussions is any willingness to hear why people feel federal land management does not involve or recognize their interests.

Troy Rushton

I'll take that as a no. BigFin, can we add an ignore function? Someone like this spouting their opinion over and over with no regard to other's opinion and facts presented...no use to anyone.

There has been an ignore function for a long time. Just click on the persons name and click on view profile. When their profile page comes up it is about the 4th option on the left side.

I feel that everyone is entitled to their opinion and I personally don't use that function.

BigFin, can we add an ignore function? Someone like this spouting their opinion over and over with no regard to other's opinion and facts presented...no use to anyone.

Are you seriously mad enough to summon Fin because you can't disabuse dukes?

Ignoring the fact that there are opinions other than one's own is not very productive. Little gets accomplished in an echo chamber.

Are you seriously mad enough to summon Fin because you can't disabuse dukes?

I'm not mad at all. I just feel like dukes is not here for a discussion, but is using the forum to repeat his opinions ad nauseam without even acknowledging other users' replies that completely refute some of his statements. So, rather than waste my time reading more of his opinions in the future, it might be better to not even see that he posted something.

npaden, thanks for the tip.

I'm not mad at all. I just feel like dukes is not here for a discussion, but is using the forum to repeat his opinions ad nauseam without even acknowledging other users' replies that completely refute some of his statements. So, rather than waste my time reading more of his opinions in the future, it might be better to not even see that he posted something.

npaden, thanks for the tip.

dukes_daddy, can you at least acknowledge that you were wrong about BHA?

So you ask question. Don't get the answer you want and it's my fault.

Valentines and start of Lent today so good thoughts and prayers for you.

I'll take that as a no. BigFin, can we add an ignore function? Someone like this spouting their opinion over and over with no regard to other's opinion and facts presented...no use to anyone.

Whether you agree or not with the content of this post, it was certainly a reasonable reply to your call out. There are others on both side of PL issues who tirelessly stick to their script on this forum, would you ban the pro-BHA folks who are just as predictable and non-waivering as duke daddy? HuntTalk should be a no snowflakes zone.

Troy Rushton

Troy,

I’m not trying to play “Gotcha” or lead you on, I’m just genuinely curious—what is your take on why Utah (or the political majority of Utah) is so irked by federal public land? As you see it, whats at the heart of the problem with Utah in particular when it comes to public land? Thank you in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back