MT- chance of drawing deer tags?

Gary

My sons and I are contemplating a MT deer hunt in 2017. It will be outfitted as opposed to DIY. The outfitter offers a "Outfitters Deer Tag" at around $1100. I see that the state draw tag goes for under $600. My question is what are the chances for drawing a state tag in our first year of applying?

they are almost always 100% draw success every year. some years there are surplus as well, but I wouldn't count on the surplus.

As said the past 5 or so years they've been 100%. Though I think last year was the first year in awhile there were some who didn't draw. You'd have to be very unlucky to not get drawn

As said the past 5 or so years they've been 100%. Though I think last year was the first year in awhile there were some who didn't draw. You'd have to be very unlucky to not get drawn

Everyone who applied drew a deer tag . There were over 400 surplus tags

Draw odds were 100% last year unless you checked the box wanting to get your refund if you didn't draw any permits, which would be why some guys "didn't draw" deer tags last season.

As far as the outfitter license, it sounds like your guy hasn't updated his info for a while. Up until about half a decade ago, non residents were able to apply for outfitter allocated tags, which went for a lot higher price than the general tag.

No way I'd hire an outfitter to hunt deer in Montana , you can kill just as good a deer on public land with a handheld gps with Montana onx map chip and save the cash a outfitter would charge

If he is indeed selling an "outfitter guaranteed" tag for $1100, he is pocketing about $450 himself. We haven't had outfitter sponsored licenses in MT for several years. He is either operating with an old website or a new scheme.

Did the outfitter tell you he could get outfitter tags or is that information you read on a website?

Draw odds were 100% last year unless you checked the box wanting to get your refund if you didn't draw any permits, which would be why some guys "didn't draw" deer tags last season.

As far as the outfitter license, it sounds like your guy hasn't updated his info for a while. Up until about half a decade ago, non residents were able to apply for outfitter allocated tags, which went for a lot higher price than the general tag.

If he is indeed selling an "outfitter guaranteed" tag for $1100, he is pocketing about $450 himself. We haven't had outfitter sponsored licenses in MT for several years. He is either operating with an old website or a new scheme.

Did the outfitter tell you he could get outfitter tags or is that information you read on a website?

The info was on the website and does not look to have been updated since 2014.

<http://www.gardnerranchoutfitters.com/frequently-asked-questions/>

The main reason we've looked at this outfitter is because a good friend of one of my sons hunts with them almost every year.

Thanks for all the replies. Greatly appreciated.

I'd buy a license, an onxmaps chip, rent a forest service cabin (about $30 bucks a night most cases) in a decent general deer area and go unless you are dead set on getting an outfitter.

From the looks of the weather up there, I'd bet there is going to be a hell of a winter kill and fawn deaths. I hope FWP takes this into account when they set quotas and tag allotments, especially doe tags. Just my opinion...

Back