Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

outstanding elk shed

Man thanks for the story hopefully some day you will run across his remains. He was an awesome animal.

Thanks for the follow up. You said that the day after the rifle opener the bull vanished until you found him again in January. Obviously you don't know, but if you could theorize, where do you think he went? As in the type of country. I'd just be interested to hear your thought on the tactics a bull like that would use to survive year in and out. I hope you find him again dead or alive.

I was able to take this picture through a spotting scope. This picture made the rounds on the net and twice I had people show it to me with the claim that their friend had taken the picture and had come close to getting the bull. I thought it was quite amusing.

That's funny. This is an actual modern day phenomenon in hunting. In the same way hunters like to share pictures of their success, it feels good to share a picture of something that has nothing to do with you outside of the fact that it excites you.

Thanks for sharing all that.

Nameless. It is likely that he spent most of his time on property that few get to hunt. Even when he came to with in 70 yards he was never off of the private as I was only 20 yards from the line. The place were I found the sheds and took most of the pictures is very rough and full of juniper. There was a guy with a rifle tag there opening day and he never saw him. I declined to tell him that he was likely with in several hundred yards of the bull of a life time. The hunter likely pushed him to a safer place. There is also little to no water there so unless there is snow or the near by rancher is running his pipeline water is an issue.

That's funny. This is an actual modern day phenomenon in hunting. In the same way hunters like to share pictures of their success, it feels good to share a picture of something that has nothing to do with you outside of the fact that it excites you.

Thanks for sharing all that.

One of the guys was a member on Hunt Talk that sent me the picture private message shortly after I put up the picture of the sheds. He was wondering if the shed I found could be from the bull in the picture his friend took .

The other was a coyote hunter I was talking to on some state land near our property. Some how the conversation turned to big elk and he had to show me the picture of the big bull his friend was after on his phone. It was the spotting scope picture. I got my camera and showed him the pictures on my card of the bull to show that I had taken the spotting scope picture. It was quite funny.

Last edited:
Oofda. What an animal. Thanks for the follow up. Hopefully there will be another with you holding a recovered dead head of a giant!

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back