Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

WY elk 51 type 2

Millsworks

I am new to the forum scene and this technology stuff but consider myself a pretty experienced and pationate outdoorsman.Enjoy reading all the info here.Thanks to all who post here .
My son and I just drew elk tags in WY above the sunlight Crandall area.Hope the winter there is more kind for rest of season.
Has any one out there had luck there in recent years?

Never hunted in there but spent lots of summers up there as a kid. There are definitly some nice bulls in there but, if your a non resident, be mindful of the wilderness bounderies. Also keep in mind that type 2 tag is only north and east of the clarks fork. Be mindful of griz in there. Carry some kind of protection. Hope for some snow and catch the elk coming down and out of the park. Not sure exactly when the beartooth pass closes but that'll should help you with some access. If wyoming has a wolf season next year I'd highly recommend getting a wolf tag each. Its some beautiful rough country in there. Have a great time and be safe.

Last edited:
We are well aware of the wilderness restrictions and sure have respect for the big brown critters.I know my son and I will enjoy those mountains and look forward to the high country night sky, but sure hope we can manage to drag out some meat.
Long term weather forecast for the area calls for a more normal temp and precipitation in Oct. 2017 via the almanac.Guess normal may or may not be ideal ,even if predictions are close.
Regardless of weather ,we are in for the long haul and plan on spending the month of Oct. out there even if it turns into a long painfully cold ,wet,half frozen nature hike!
Sure am looking forward to seeing the area in person after stairing at the maps over last few months.

Last edited:
We are from Eastern panhandle of West Virginia and usually hunt the more rugged parts of our states national Forest to get away from the crowds of public land that plagues this part of the country.A walk in the mountains is what we love and are good at.Im sure the scenery will be worth the trip to Wyoming.

Be very bear aware!!!! I have relatives who ranch in that area and they are getting worse each and every year. If you kill and elk you will have a bear on the site the next day or sooner, not maybe, there will be one. This winter has the most snow in many years, not sure how things have been impacted yet though.

Thanks for bear warning. Seems that is all anyone can talk about.
We new what we were getting into when we applied though.
Have reports of some great elk being taken up there. Hopefully we can find a couple!

May see about a deer tag too. Hear it might be tuff to find a good one if weather isn't cold and snowy.

Last edited:
Some dense timber there. Get some pressure and the elk will disappear into the trees. Coming from WV, you guys should be used that type of hunting. A little tracking snow would be a big help. Good luck on your hunt.....it is amazing country to be in.

Back