MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

WY General Elk Tag options

Arrowed

My dad and I got drawn for a general archery tag in Wyoming (or gun). We are amateur elk hunters and rookie to Wyoming. We could really use some advice from someone with experience there or a local landowner. We are considering hunting units 98,13,or 21 (unless someone has a better unit recommendation ). We would greatly appreciate any help . We feel so blessed to have this opportunity to hunt in this amazing state and want to make the best of our opportunity.

Haven't ever hunted Wyoming but I'm sure its like most anywhere. Put in your research on maps and scouting, get off the roads, and make those one to two chances that typically come along count.

Good luck this fall!

A couple tidbits of advice I would start with. Check out the harvest statistics on the game and fish website. It gives stats for the general tag units as well as the limited entry units. Some of the general tag areas for sure have better success rates than others.

Also, check out the general tag areas that are either sex tags. Generally speaking those areas are going to have higher populations than the units that are restricted to antlered bulls only.

Once you have it narrowed down a bit start google searching for those units. A lot of time you can come up with some previous posts of folks asking some of the same questions.

Good luck, there are some pretty good areas in Wyoming with a general tag, but you are still going to have to work at it. The hardest part of elk hunting is finding where they are at.

I would go with what @npaden said. Check harvest rates and go to an area that has either sex. If you find a couple areas you really like I would try and put in some preseason scouting to finalize where you want to hunt.

You will have fun! Make a list of possible units and check the Job Completion Reports for the units. Call the biologist that did the reports if you have any more questions. Then call the game wardens. Some have been very helpful for me while others have not been so much.

Wyoming is great. I've hunted the general tag twice for a total of a little over two weeks in the mountains. I have yet to go a single day without seeing elk and hearing bugles. I started with exactly the same amount of information as you and zero elk hunting experience. There are so many great areas to hunt you should have no trouble if you put in some research. On the flip side I know of people who have gone to Wyoming on the general tag and have really struggled. The difference is that they did zero research. They still had fun, but are trying to pry my spots out of me. Yeah right!

No Wiser and crew earned the elk they got here, his advice is sound.

My $0.02

I was in your shoes last year. Here's the approach I took: I knew I would be flying into the state, so that narrowed my units to those general units within a 1-3 hour drive from my airport. I then looked at kill statistics and number of tags, etc for each unit I initially targeted. My main goal was to get away from other hunters, so I did a ton of scouting on Google Earth and looked for areas that were at least a mile away from any roads. Once I found some areas that fit the prior criteria, I looked for north facing timbered slopes, sources of water, saddles, etc. I called the game wardens for the unit and asked them specific questions about my area. Things like, "I'm thinking of driving in on XXX Road, is that the best way to enter, can I park my car there, is there access to a trail head" "I plan on camping near XXX creek or along XXX Trail, have you seen elk in that area in September, do you know of the type of hunting pressure I might see there" Basically, lay out your plan, show him you've done the research, and ask him for any advice he might be able to offer. I POURED over Google Earth every free moment I had at work; so much so that I was able to find outfitter tents that indicated I was at least heading in the right direction. I also was able to come up with a Plan A,B,C in case I didn't find elk. Put in the time and it will pay off. My hunt was the most demanding hunt I've ever been on, but I was on elk from the moment I stepped foot on the mountain.

I was in your shoes last year. Here's the approach I took: I knew I would be flying into the state, so that narrowed my units to those general units within a 1-3 hour drive from my airport. I then looked at kill statistics and number of tags, etc for each unit I initially targeted. My main goal was to get away from other hunters, so I did a ton of scouting on Google Earth and looked for areas that were at least a mile away from any roads. Once I found some areas that fit the prior criteria, I looked for north facing timbered slopes, sources of water, saddles, etc. I called the game wardens for the unit and asked them specific questions about my area. Things like, "I'm thinking of driving in on XXX Road, is that the best way to enter, can I park my car there, is there access to a trail head" "I plan on camping near XXX creek or along XXX Trail, have you seen elk in that area in September, do you know of the type of hunting pressure I might see there" Basically, lay out your plan, show him you've done the research, and ask him for any advice he might be able to offer. I POURED over Google Earth every free moment I had at work; so much so that I was able to find outfitter tents that indicated I was at least heading in the right direction. I also was able to come up with a Plan A,B,C in case I didn't find elk. Put in the time and it will pay off. My hunt was the most demanding hunt I've ever been on, but I was on elk from the moment I stepped foot on the mountain.

I appreciate the feed back and will definitely start researching as soon as we narrow down a unit.

The big question: if you had a general tag which unit would you hunt and why? We appreciate any positive feedback. Thank you

Nobody is going to tell you a unit to go hunt. At least not one that they hunt. If someone talks up a particular unit on the internet, it will have a lot more hunters the next few seasons. Lots of folks have the same question you have. Do your research from the very good tips you have been given. Unless you know someone that will give you some info, this is how most everyone does it.

Using some online resources and previous research, I crunched these numbers in less than 5 minutes.

There are 102 elk zones in WY
51 of those zones are General tag (gun or bow as well)
36 zones have 20% or better hunt success
23 zones have 25% success

I shot at a bull in one of those 23 zones last season and missed with my bow. I went back and hunted two totally different zones late season and shot a cow with my rifle. I had never been to any of the three zones in my life until that trip. All my research was done online or by phone.

Your questions about which zone to choose are vague because even using the narrow 23 zones I whittled down to, they cover everything from WY desert to subalpine mountains and everything in between. I can tell you we struggled early season, but we saw elk several times and my buddy and I each had shot opportunities on several days of the trip.

Do a little more research and narrow things down a bit more No one can tell you which zone to hunt because you're not sure what kind of hunt you want. Zones 13 and 21 are right next to eachother, but they are somewhat different in terrain and access. 98 is completely different from those two which begs the questions why that one? See what I mean?

I can say from G&F meetings that the Sierra Madres are above population objective, hunted archery there once never saw an elk. Snowie Range is near objective on population so cow tags have been cut. Both are known general areas and get pressure but elk are taken. Elk numbers in South Central and SE are doing very well but get hunted hard. Put in the work and you can have a good hunt over here. Western side has also good elk hunting but some areas are affected in archery by sheep grazing. Elk stay away from the sheep herds with their shepherds and dogs, but move back in after the sheep leave. Lots of residents hunters over here and lots of Utah's on the west side. We hunt far enough south of Jackson area to stay out of grizz country.

It also makes a difference where you are coming from. If you are crossing the entire state to get to "the" unit, you are likely passing through a lot of good general elk units.

I hunted 98 last season. Finding breathing room and locating elk were not difficult. Killing an elk was a different story. It was hot & dry, the moon was full, & humans weren't the only hunters in the area, so the elk were wary and nocturnal.

I hunted 98 last season. Finding breathing room and locating elk were not difficult. Killing an elk was a different story. It was hot & dry, the moon was full, & humans weren't the only hunters in the area, so the elk were wary and nocturnal.

Aliens, Squatch, Griz, or Wolves?

Despite the fact that mule deer and bear hunting are higher on my favorites list, a general Wyoming elk tag is as close to a blank check for a good experience as you can get. If you want to hunt them in sheep country at 10,000' in September, you can. If you want to wait for snow and cruise two tracks on your atv, you can. If you want to do one, then come back and do the other, you can. If you want to do the December elk refuge rodeo, you can.

Pick the terrain you like (alpine, mountain foothills, broken sedimentary hills, sagebrush steppe, black timber, mixed aspen/sage), the style you like (backpacking, base camp, cheap hotel), the time of year you want to do it, set your standards for animal maturity, and go hunting. It's amazing that you can basically decide all of those factors on a general tag.

If you pm me your answers to the above I'm happy to help narrow down some units that meet your interests.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back