Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

30 Nosler

If you’re only shooting 500 get the 280 AI.

That is where I am back to looking at, but I haven't ruled out a .30 Cal as it supports a heavier load which is the gap I am feeling the need to fill. I did some searching on barrel life last night and was surprised how little barrel life was expected, the 28 Nosler on one of the other forums was averaging 600 rounds before it was time for a new barrel. As this will be a hunting rig I am sure that will stretch a little more. But with the initial cost, ammo cost, availability, and short life span the Nosler calibers are not really my cup of tea for my intended purpose.

If you put a bullet in the vitals, I don’t think the animal is going to care or notice there was a .016” difference in diameter.

If it’s as bad as my Kimber I won’t complain a bit. I pirated a Zeiss 3.5-10 off another gun for now. I’ll buy a new scope next year.

A kimber also! You're just asking for trouble

If you put a bullet in the vitals, I don’t think the animal is going to care or notice there was a .016” difference in diameter.

It has more to do with the available bullet weights that the .30 offers. I already shoot 140g Accubonds from my Creedmoor and feel that covers Cow elk pretty well. But when I am looking at a large bull or hopefully a moose some day I want to get up into heavier weight bullets. The data is pulled from the Nosler reloading site.

•280 Ack Imp 120 Grain ( covered by my Creedmoor )
•280 Ack Imp 140 Grain ( covered by my Creedmoor )
•280 Ack Imp 150 Grain
•280 Ack Imp 160 Grain
•280 Ack Imp 168 Grain
•280 Ack Imp 175 Grain

•300 Win Mag 125 Grain ( covered by my Creedmoor )
•300 Win Mag 150 / 155 Grain
•300 Win Mag 165 / 168 Grain
•300 Win Mag 175 / 180 Grain
•300 Win Mag 190 Grain
•300 Win Mag 200 Grain
•300 Win Mag 210 Grain
•300 Win Mag 220 Grain

Not having shot these calibers before, what base weight rifle should a 300 Win Mag be? I've seen them from 6.4lbs to 8.1. All decked out I would like a rifle that wont break my shoulder as was referred to back in the belshawelk post. What should a finished weight be, 10-11 lbs?

300win is a good choice. Shoot 180 or 200gr Accubonds. I like the finished weight of a rifle to be close to 8-9lbs.
What rifles are you considering?

Look at the Remington 700 AWR with the 5R barrel. Proving to be shooters. mtmuley

Anybody on here shoot one of these? I haven't shot one, but have handled them at the store a couple times and they seem real sweet. Addicting, if you go the .300 WM route, check one of these out. Price is great for the components used.

That being said, I do have a Bergara and it's a real shooter.

Anybody on here shoot one of these? I haven't shot one, but have handled them at the store a couple times and they seem real sweet. Addicting, if you go the .300 WM route, check one of these out. Price is great for the components used.

That being said, I do have a Bergara and it's a real shooter.

A good friend of mine has the AWR. He was debating between it and the Mountain SS. He loves the AWR and chose it because of the 5R barrel. Said it shoots great. I went with the Mountain SS because I don't like heavy guns or magnum chamberings.

If I was looking for a 300 Winny it would be a prime candidate for sure.

Rem 700 AWR in 7Mag, 30-06, and 300 Mag are 7.375 lbs...338 and 300 Ultra Mags are 7.625 lbs.

I actually spent the day test driving all off the rifles I had interest in. The Rem AWR stock feels like plastic and was pretty slippery. Action was good, but it heavier than I wanted. Scratched from the list.

Next was the Nosler M48 Liberty chambered in 28 Nosler. Stock feels great and it is well balanced. The cheap follower attached to hinge plate made me cringe when I cycled it, otherwise it was smooth. It was a maybe but at the top of what I wanted to spend.

Finally the Begera B14 Hunter. This one had a great stock with a soft touch feel and very good action. Plus it was half the price of the Nosler and 100 cheaper than the Rem. It was a winner in my book for what it cost. The only issue is that they don’t chamber it in 280AI. It does come in 300win mag but I keep going back to that 280AI due to recoil concerns.

Last edited:
Back