NM Unit 45 - 2nd Rifle - Unit characterisitics?

BrokenArrow

Hey guys, Time to let the cat outta the bag! I pulled a NM tag. Really fired up as I am ready to get out in the woods.
I am solo on this one and strickly bivy backpack hunt.
What I do know:
- I actually had a deer tag in this unit last year and did see elk, but only cows.
- I know lining an outfitter to pack out can be a giant asset since it's so steep and big pack-in's (4 mile minimum).
- Water can be tricky.
- And yes, it can be dry and hot.

I'm looking more about what the typical caliber of bull in unit 45 can be. I have a pretty light trigger finger and will drop the hammer on a 5 point the first chance I get, but should I hold off for a day and drop a 6 point? It is after all an expensive out-of-state tag.
- Is a typical bull 280" or more?
- Decent bull to cow ratio? I know I can read stats from game and fish, but local eyes seem to tell the real truth better.
- Any general area? North, South, East, West?

I have friends that live in Dixon. They will be taking me on a scout in october, but pressure moves things around.
- Is there heavy pressure in there? I didn't see one other person the whole time I was in the wilderness
- Lastly, an unfortunate question, any trailheads to absolutely avoid because of vandalism? I know most parking areas are plenty safe.

Thanks for any advice. I'm into trading info. So, if your from santa fe and headed to SW CO to OTC hunt and have something to share....

I've answered about 30 PM's this week about the 416 fire. Seems like it's gonna get a little crowded around these parts this year. Putting in for NM and drawing makes me feel like I'm pretty smart even though I drew months before the 416! Funny how things work out.

Good luck out there this year. It's getting close to opening day! JW

I’ve hunted 45 five times but we usually hunt the SE corner for mule deer with a couple bonus elk tags for private land. That said, I liked the area west of Baldy when scouting last year. I’ve been 5-7 miles into the Pecos Wildernesses area and can say I’ve only seen 2 large bulls 6*6 and 6*7 and quite a few5*5s. Jacks creek has been safe for us and the people we’ve hunted with.

When is second rifle this year?

I’ve hunted 45 five times but we usually hunt the SE corner for mule deer with a couple bonus elk tags for private land. That said, I liked the area west of Baldy when scouting last year. I’ve been 5-7 miles into the Pecos Wildernesses area and can say I’ve only seen 2 large bulls 6*6 and 6*7 and quite a few5*5s. Jacks creek has been safe for us and the people we’ve hunted with.

When is second rifle this year?

Hey, thanks for the response. That is helpful for sure. Makes me think to knock down anything mature that I get a good shot on.
2nd rifle is Oct 21-25th.

Hey all, I am resurrecting this thread cause the packer I was gonna use ended having back surgery. He is a friend and I hate it for him. Just curious if anyone has a line on an outfitter that might take a last minute guy like me? The folks he knew were tied up. I'm focused around Troutas to Jicarilla peak area and need 1 rider and 1 packer for the ride in. Hopefully a couple extra for the ride out.
I am fully prepared to hike in and pack out also, just a change in strategy.
Thanks for any help on an outfitter or the area.

Last edited:
Jacks Creek & Cowles area was always safe for me to park. Been since 09' since I hunted it & I would say a 300" bull is a trophy in that unit.

Truchas and Jicarita are pretty rugged areas. If you come in the Santa Barbara you will probably be okay as far as vandals. Other trailheads (Borrego, Trampas, etc) are known for vandalism although I have heard they've gotten better. I don't risk it on extended trips...sad. Weather can be pretty rough in the high country by second rifle so come prepared for winter conditions. Pecos river access points (Jacks Creek, Iron Gate, etc) are likely more forgiving on all accounts. Given the unit, terrain, and possibility of rough conditions, I'd say shoot the first legal bull you see and call it a trophy!

Sorry, I don't know any outfitters. Good luck on the hunt!

Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate it.
I hunted out of Santa Barbara last year for a buck hunt and it went really well. I'm gonna focus on that again. I saw elk the whole time was there am sure that this year since I'm elk hunting I won't see a thing!
Also, I got ahold of Circle S outfitters and we might be able to get something done to get a couple horses involved.
Thanks again

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back