SE Montana winter kill

Reading this thread and the snow totals bums me out. I'm guessing I'll know next week whether or not I'll have a tag in hand. I know some would say come hunt it, but I think I might look elsewhere within the state if I do end up with the tag, the refund doesn't seem to be an option with my current crew.

If you are only able to make one trip out there, I wouldn't put all of your eggs in the SE MT basket.

If you are only able to make one trip out there, I wouldn't put all of your eggs in the SE MT basket.

Yep, I was excited about coming back because I did this hunt solo last year and felt like I had the area figured out by the time I left. I just want my buddies to have a good experience for their first western hunt so we can make it an annual thing.

Yep, I was excited about coming back because I did this hunt solo last year and felt like I had the area figured out by the time I left. I just want my buddies to have a good experience for their first western hunt so we can make it an annual thing.

Regardless of where you hunt, it's going to be a memorable experience. You will be away from the everyday B.S. with good friends/family in beautiful country. The actual hunting experience will be different. I think too many NR's head to Montana with a false sense of reality with expectations of being able to shoot mature mule deer. They look at it like it's going to be a "hunt of a lifetime" which it very well could be minus the actual quality of the deer they are hunting. I love Montana, but the General Deer tag is at the bottom of desirable deer tags out west when looking for opportunities at mature mule deer. Have real expectations and enjoy your hunt.

Until bucks start giving birth hunting during the rut has little to do with overall herd numbers. Trophy quality yes, success rates yes, but not overall herd numbers. The number of B tags is what’s asinine And should be eliminated for the foreseeable future. Second using Wyoming’s model of “pick your region” for non residents when applying would help alleviate a lot of pressure in the southeast assuming they set reasonable quotas and adjust yearly based on scientific data. Third (and I know it will bunch some panties) for the love of god get rid of NR elk deer combo tags and manage these species independently. As someone mentioned earlier I like the idea of the general season closing 10/31 with a special LE season in November. Ok... so you can start calling me an idiot now.

Until bucks start giving birth hunting during the rut has little to do with overall herd numbers. Trophy quality yes, success rates yes, but not overall herd numbers. The number of B tags is what’s asinine And should be eliminated for the foreseeable future. Second using Wyoming’s model of “pick your region” for non residents when applying would help alleviate a lot of pressure in the southeast assuming they set reasonable quotas and adjust yearly based on scientific data. Third (and I know it will bunch some panties) for the love of god get rid of NR elk deer combo tags and manage these species independently. As someone mentioned earlier I like the idea of the general season closing 10/31 with a special LE season in November. Ok... so you can start calling me an idiot now.

Not a bad post

Don't sound like an idiot to me. Sounds perfectly reasonable.
I would be voting for the Nov 1 ending. There are a lot of good reasons for an earlier season. Better quality deer is just one of them.

Don't sound like an idiot to me. Sounds perfectly reasonable.
I would be voting for the Nov 1 ending. There are a lot of good reasons for an earlier season. Better quality deer is just one of them.

Pretty interesting find on the sheds radar, I have also for some sheds with chew marks just like that in the wide open with no tracks around them besides deer and couldn't make myself believe that it wasn't a rodent that chewed them up. Makes sense though, deer in these harsh conditions are probably looking for any source of nutrition. I'm hoping to finally get out for a walk or two next week, unless mother nature has other ideas.

I’m a nonresident, love hunting Montana and am ALL FOR shortening the season. Who doesn’t like shooting a buck in the rut? I do, but I really enjoy having to actually “hunt” for an animal, walking in, glassing them up, having to stalk on or try to catch them to and from food.

Sorry to hear about the conditions in SE Montana. Had Montana pegged for our first out of state family hunt with my two teenage daughters this year. One of them has never deer hunted. Was looking for something low key but toward the rut as I figured they would have fun seeing good amounts of deer. May have to look toward Colorado this year :(

Sorry to hear about the conditions in SE Montana. Had Montana pegged for our first out of state family hunt with my two teenage daughters this year. One of them has never deer hunted. Was looking for something low key but toward the rut as I figured they would have fun seeing good amounts of deer. May have to look toward Colorado this year :(
Did you put in for Montana deer? If you did I'd still hunt the tag. If you don't someone else will.

Curious as to why you would drive through Idaho to hunt Montana for mule deer? Assuming you are coming from OR.

Did you put in for Montana deer? If you did I'd still hunt the tag. If you don't someone else will.

FSmith. I did put in for Montana. I will only have a week to hunt and want to make sure I have an area to get the kids into some deer to get them excited about it. Know SE Montana some but not the more western area.

BlakeA. The general dates in mid and southern Idaho don't work well for me. I have a Wyoming 41 Elk type 1 tag I am committed to with my dad and uncle for mid and late October. For that reason I am skipping Oregon deer this year as well, sort of. I will archery hunt November on weekends for blacktail but won't apply for controlled hunts. Was looking to hunt November for deer with my kids. I know there are some November dates in more northern Idaho, and I know there is decent white tail hunting there but really don't know where to start.
Have some ideas for the area we are applying for in Colorado. I you think North Idaho would be a good bet would love to hear your opinion. Thanks, Brett.

I hear ya ..... this last weather blurp I just came across doesn't sound good. One of my friends that hunts a lot of high country said this winter reminds him of 91 I believe and the sheep alone damn near vanished in the tooths, took years to come back, let alone the deer. I talked to a friend from Glasgow he said ridges are finally burning off but the flats and bottoms are solid..... very solid.

Im glad I'm not a rancher, them boys have had one hell of a tough 18 months.

I got friends in Lewistown area that are trying to calve and it has been a nightmare for them . Ughhh, I wish this could end for everyone , ranchers , wildlife , farmers , this winter needs to end .

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back