MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Grinding burger??

Chucknduck

Finally getting round to grinding my burger. What do you guys do for % of suet?? Was thinking 20%. Anyone ever grind burger with pork?? Hope to get a few pointers

I've done pork and beef. I like beef better but both are good. Even some bacon ends and scraps that you can buy in a big sealed pack are good for some. Experiment a little, fry some up as you are grinding and see what you like best.

I used to use 15-20% beef sirloin fat. It was free & good quality.
Been using 5-10% pork belly or bacon fat last few years. Go leaner says the Doc...lol

I use to add some beef suet but have been going straight lean venison for many years now and we don't miss the fat at all. When I make burgers I dice up a little bacon and blend in with the burger and they stick together well and taste great.

I run 10% pork fat. Wife has a friend that raises a pig for us every year, we keep all the fat and use it for grind. Delicious.

Some one whoe does a lot of grinding told me to use 20% pork loin which I have in the past and it worked fine
Along the same lines, and I apologize for a possible hijack here. But due to time constraints I ended up freezing the trimmings that are intended for hamburger.
My understanding on meat is once you thaw the meat you need to use it. Does that leave my only option to thawing the trimmings, then grinding and grilling?

For burger meat I get beef fat from a good quality butcher and keep it around 10%. For sausage I buy a pork shoulder and do a 10:1 deer to pork

No experience with beef.

I grind some without any fat added, fine ground once. Turned out great. I grind some with 80% deer / 20% bacon- fine grind once.

Just made batch of hot bulk sausage with AG Legg seasoning that was about 60% deer and 40% pork shoulder, double coarse ground with seasoning added between grinding.

Hope yours turn out great.

Last edited:
Some one whoe does a lot of grinding told me to use 20% pork loin which I have in the past and it worked fine
Along the same lines, and I apologize for a possible hijack here. But due to time constraints I ended up freezing the trimmings that are intended for hamburger.
My understanding on meat is once you thaw the meat you need to use it. Does that leave my only option to thawing the trimmings, then grinding and grilling?

Not true at all. I almost always freeze grind meat when cutting up animals and thaw it out later to grind and refreeze. Never any issues. Meat grinds best when it is about half frozen so even if I grind fresh I will throw it in the freezer a while before grinding.

Not true at all. I almost always freeze grind meat when cutting up animals and thaw it out later to grind and refreeze. Never any issues. Meat grinds best when it is about half frozen so even if I grind fresh I will throw it in the freezer a while before grinding.

+1. I vac seal freeze hindquarters whole and when I need some ground I thaw one or two. Then grind, pack in 1lb bags and refreeze.

I freeze the trim / grinding meat in a large vacuum sealed bag (around 10 Lbs) and then pull it from the freezer weeks or months later and thaw in the refrigerator until it is half thawed, half frozen, cube and grind while partially frozen. Seems to grind really well. I also use partially frozen pork when I grind.

I also package a lot of trim marked grind.I just thaw a bit and run through my Universal hand grinder.Instant chile grind or taco meat.

Well looks like I should try some strait venison, some 20%, and some with pork. I have a pork shoulder in the feeezer I can use

Thank You

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back