Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Water - how do you carry it?

I've used a 3L Camelbak military grade bladder (currently marketed as the Antidote) for almost 8 years without any problem at all. I don't like the standard civilian ones, they don't feel like they are tough enough for long term use in the sticks. I also like the water tube, how it attaches, and the bite valve better on the military grade bladder.

I've never tried the Cambelback Military ones but I got one from a company, Source Tactical out of England, that makes them for the military. I forget where I heard about them but their bladders have proven pretty indestructible over the last 5 years I've had it. I've destroyed my share of camelback bladders, often at the most inconvenient times in the backcountry and these are much tougher. The tube, the valves, everything. The bladder itself is made from this ultra smooth rubber/plastic that supposedly cuts down on bacteria growth and the bite valves are designed such that the tube empties back into the bladder when you close the valve so the tube rarely freezes, a big plus since I use mine for bc skiing too.

The one complaint is that when the bladder is in the pack sleeve and the pack is fully loaded, like 10lbs of pork in a 5lb casing packed, that much pressure can force water up the tube and sometimes leak slightly at the valve. But this has never happened when loaded up for day hunts and doesn't happen all the time when packing in with a maxed out pack. And sometimes I just pack the bladder last at the top of the pack and the problem is solved.

THIS. Ive never had a bladder fail, but I'v seen it happen. Buy quality, i really like the platy bags. When it starts getting really cold I switch from my bladder with a tube to just a bladder in my pack. I always squeeze the air out to keep the "slosh" at bay.

The great thing about nalgene bottles is that you can boil water in them and place them in the bottom of your sleeping back if your stuff gets wet or you need some warmth. I think I read that tip on this site, we were camped around 9000 ft in Nevada in August and got hit by a whale of a thunderstorm, lots of wet stuff. The hot nalgenes dried out our feet, socks, pants, and sleeping bags and gave us a good night of sleep. Thanks to whoever provided this great tip. on here!

I use an Osprey bladder. They are far superior than a camelbak. First off the hose disconnects about fill hole height. So when filling, just disconnect the hose and remove the bladder.

Answer is MSR for everything. Thank Henry Ford for changing america forever, not for the best in my opinion. But standardization is nice when things work together as a system. My MSR filter screws onto my MSR dromidary or my nalgine. I use my dromidary with a drinking tube. it is way easier to drink with a bite valve right next to your mouth than a bottle in a pouch or worse burried in pack. Stay hydrated and hunt harder and longer.

i bring a kid and let them carry a 2.5 gal jug and there sleeping bag pad change of clothes and the fun food like snicker bars granola bars and fruit roll ups. I carry the rest of the camping gear. Nice to have family along and i would be packing everything myself tent stove pot ect any way

The great thing about nalgene bottles is that you can boil water in them and place them in the bottom of your sleeping back if your stuff gets wet or you need some warmth. I think I read that tip on this site, we were camped around 9000 ft in Nevada in August and got hit by a whale of a thunderstorm, lots of wet stuff. The hot nalgenes dried out our feet, socks, pants, and sleeping bags and gave us a good night of sleep. Thanks to whoever provided this great tip. on here!

how do you use them to boil water in? wouldnt it melt on a stove?

i bring a kid and let them carry a big dromadary bag from msr and there sleeping bag pad change of clothes and the fun food like snicker bars granola bars fruit roll ups and the mt house they pick out. I carry the rest of the camping gear. Nice to have family along and i would be packing everything myself tent stove pot ect any way

I have used bladders, but I don't like them stored IN the pack with my gear. I have had a leak on one occasion. I have also had one leak at the bite valve for an entire trip...constantly dripping. But that being said, I still use them. I may switch to a Nalgene if I switch to a steripen, but for now....I run what I got. The other problem with the bladders is you cant regulate your water as well. meaning, you don't know how much you have drank, or how much you have left.

I have two eberlestock packs. When I'm using the blue widow, the bladder goes in the opening against the frame. If I'm running my dragonfly, the bladder is most likely in the gun scabbard pocket, unless I need to put the gun in there. Rarely does that happen though, because I have a gunbearer that can allow me to be hands free when needed. Either way, the bladder is external to all my gear, extra clothes, etc. For filtration, still working on different options and I'm not dialed in. I tried the sawyer mini squeeze this year, and carry a dirty bag and an extra clean bag. That set up allows me to carry xtra water if needed for camp water.

I think the biggest point to make about the original post is this: how you carry water is really dependent on how much water is readily available. Example: I carry more water because I hunted NM and there isnt a ton places to get water when you are hiking/hunting up on the mountain. Some areas have lots of streams, creeks, etc. So how you carry water will be dependent on how readily available the water is. I wouldn't need to carry 2l or 3l of water around if it was readily available. If that were the case for me, I would already have switched to the Nalgene/steri pen combo I think. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I use a Platypus Big Zip reservoir, 2L I believe, but I changed out the tube to an insulated one. I like the ease of the slide closure on this better than the Camelback's I have used in the past. I also use a collapsible 2L Platypus bottle for rehydrating food. Picked up a MSR Trail Shot for water filtration this year and love it. Not the fastest thing on the planet, but super lightweight and easy to use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back