Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming Applications

I couldn't agree more Jayden. Last year I was basically told your crazy for bringing this up. I could easily be wrong but I don't think I am. I think guys have been banking points and are starting to cash them out in Wyoming. The next few years should be interesting. But I also agree that for one that cashes in and leaves another will replace them. I think it may go similar to Montana's price change a while back. Things will slow down a bit then back to normal eventually.
Guys will only pay so much for a tag before they stay at home. Question is what is that breaking point? I'm slowly working my way out of the western thing in a lot of states except for sheep/goat.
I don't feel like it's good for the future of hunting and public lands honestly. I worry that eventually people will just quit the sport and find other things to do with their time and money.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Prices rise and applications go up - but supply and demand says if prices rise consumption goes down, what’s up? An economist would point out this tells us that tag prices are still well below their actual fair market value. When a fix number of items are priced below value, price and consumption are largely unlinked and seller can raise prices without losing sales. When tag prices reach their full market value then we will see subsequent price increases cause lower sales. I am guessing WY could double their tag prices and still sell out in units without the “low access” *.

But since this is a government and not a business, I think the better discussion is, should a government risk pricing out of the market certain segments of the population on ability to pay? This is tougher - I would prefer that hunting in the US not become the European “gentlemen’s sport” so I am glad tags are priced below value and hope continued increases don’t price out the lower middle class at some point.

What I often wonder is just when hunting and applying in other States became a right?

My Grandfather hunted his whole life, and the only place he ever "hunted", other than Montana was in Europe during WWII (shot some roe deer and maybe some unfriendly folk). My own Father, never hunted outside Montana until I moved to Wyoming...and even then he didn't hunt here until 2004.

People whining about Wyoming moving the draw date, so that the Department is not violating their own regulations and statute, while an inconvenience for the NR hunter applying in multiple states...is well, not something I'm going to sympathize with. On top of that, its a cost savings to the department in both the drawing process as well as saving money via a couple meetings a year to try to "estimate" elk tag allocations.

Poor me, I might have conflicting hunts because I apply for 8-12 states a year and only have 8-10 weeks to hunt...I don't expect any sympathy from anyone, and I sure don't expect a State to for-go proper management, proper tag allocations, and violate state regulations and laws so that I'm not inconvenienced personally.

As to the NR prices, I would greedily pay another State the same fees that Wyoming is charging for the same quality that is provided to NR hunters here. I've hunted a lot of other states and the reason for the demand in Wyoming is because of the quality provided. Good chit sells itself and that's why you're seeing 20% increases in applications. Wyoming has not only a lot of opportunity, but lots of quality to go with that opportunity. In most other states, those two are often mutually exclusive...they may have lots of opportunity but no quality, or lots of quality and very little opportunity.

The only place I agree that license fees should stay within reach of lower income brackets is the state they're a resident in. We're a longggg way from pricing out anyone with Resident fees in any State. Hunting out of state is a luxury, not a right.

Last edited:
Land ownership and wildlife are not related...the State has the absolute right, authority and law behind it to regulate wildlife within their borders any way they choose, no matter the status of the land it resides on.

Your complaint has no merit...

Buzz, your post is facetious except where it is irrelevant.

BTW, where did you pick up that phrase "absolute right"? ;)

What I often wonder is just when hunting and applying in other States became a right?

My Grandfather hunted his whole life, and the only place he ever "hunted", other than Montana was in Europe during WWII (shot some roe deer and maybe some unfriendly folk). My own Father, never hunted outside Montana until I moved to Wyoming...and even then he didn't hunt here until 2004.

People whining about Wyoming moving the draw date, so that the Department is not violating their own regulations and statute, while an inconvenience for the NR hunter applying in multiple states...is well, not something I'm going to sympathize with. On top of that, its a cost savings to the department in both the drawing process as well as saving money via a couple meetings a year to try to "estimate" elk tag allocations.

Poor me, I might have conflicting hunts because I apply for 8-12 states a year and only have 8-10 weeks to hunt...I don't expect any sympathy from anyone, and I sure don't expect a State to for-go proper management, proper tag allocations, and violate state regulations and laws so that I'm not inconvenienced personally.

As to the NR prices, I would greedily pay another State the same fees that Wyoming is charging for the same quality that is provided to NR hunters here. I've hunted a lot of other states and the reason for the demand in Wyoming is because of the quality provided. Good chit sells itself and that's why you're seeing 20% increases in applications. Wyoming has not only a lot of opportunity, but lots of quality to go with that opportunity. In most other states, those two are often mutually exclusive...they may have lots of opportunity but no quality, or lots of quality and very little opportunity.

The only place I agree that license fees should stay within reach of lower income brackets is the state they're a resident in. We're a longggg way from pricing out anyone with Resident fees in any State. Hunting out of state is a luxury, not a right.

did someone say that hunting out of state is a right? I missed that. I certainly did not say that.

But we could pretend someone did.

Once again, you completely miss the point. More people priced out, less people caring about our public lands. Its very simple. This has nothing to do with application numbers.

Once again, through your sarcasm and arrogance, you prove you really don't give a hoot about NR hunters. Except when it allows you some notoriety.

Bottom line, we’re all going to either pay to play or stay home to straighten bent nails and count all the money we saved. I really wish someone would lock this dumb thread.

Given all the reduced tag opportunities that Wy offers to NRs, I'm not sure we can say that anyone is being priced out of hunting. Plenty of people are just as happy to hunt does and cows as they are to tag a trophy.

Once again, you completely miss the point. More people priced out, less people caring about our public lands. Its very simple. This has nothing to do with application numbers.

Once again, through your sarcasm and arrogance, you prove you really don't give a hoot about NR hunters. Except when it allows you some notoriety.

No I get the point perfectly...that all you care about is YOUR ability to run a hook or bullet through an animal as cheaply as you can. If you don't get that option, then you're not going to advocate for public lands.

Its not "arrogant" to think you're owed the price structures you feel are appropriate the State of Wyoming chooses to charge NR hunters? I believe it is.

Frankly, public lands do not need people like you. I would much rather partner with people that care, and place a value beyond their own selfish reasons to advocate for public lands, than someone who is only an advocate when they get something out of it.

I don't bitch and complain about the price of the NR tags I apply for, nor do I bitch about the way other States treat me as a NR. Nor do I expect to be able to hunt things like sheep, moose, goats, elk, etc. in other states.

The absolute last thing, I would ever do, is what you have implied and stated in your post...that If a Resident of a State doesn't advocate for cheap NR tags than I wont be a public land advocate.

That's lame, selfish, and ridiculous...putting YOUR own agenda of license fee structures ahead of the legacy of public lands, that's almost unbelievably selfish that you care that little about public lands and future generations. Thankfully, people like my Father, Mother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, and millions of selfless people that came before me, never thought that way...

Stay home if you don't like it...plenty of others will do your work for you.

Last edited:
Buzz, take a nap or something. You are way overboard.

No, as he is most times, BuzzH is right on and you along with curdog need to get off the thread and bone up on things because you're way off on your comments. No state has to allow a single NR to hunt within their border even if's 100% Federal land, so save your money and be thankful they do let you hunt at all.

Last edited:
No, as he is most times, BuzzH is right on and you along with curdog need to get off the thread and bone up on things because you're way off on your comments. No state has to allow a single NR to hunt within their border even if's 100% Federal land, so save your money and be thankful they do let you hunt at all.

NO ONE said that any state owes any NR (or R for that matter) to hunt on any land public, private, state or federal. Why do you and Buzz keep putting words in people's mouths?

Are you saying we don't have the "absolute right" (gotta love that phrase) to complain if we want? Show me the legislation.

NO ONE said that any state owes any NR (or R for that matter) to hunt on any land public, private, state or federal. Why do you and Buzz keep putting words in people's mouths?

Are you saying we don't have the "absolute right" (gotta love that phrase) to complain if we want? Show me the legislation.

I think part of the issue is no one can really tell what you’re arguing about (in this thread and beyond), and as soon as anyone calls you on something you claim you’re talking about a different thing.

An old saying about wrestling with pigs in the mud comes to mind.

No one said anything about anyone owing anyone anything. Except maybe cheaper NR license prices?

I think part of the issue is no one can really tell what you’re arguing about (in this thread and beyond), and as soon as anyone calls you on something you claim you’re talking about a different thing.

An old saying about wrestling with pigs in the mud comes to mind.

If so, then hello kettle.

I like Buzz. He is arrogant, can be obnoxious, and does belittle other people.

But as a public land advocate, he is right.

He is always right!

No one said anything about anyone owing anyone anything. Except maybe cheaper NR license prices?

All I said was I wish they would try to quit funding G&F on the backs of hunters, especially nonresident hunters. Is it okay that I wish that? Even if you guys don't wish that?? I just want to know what I'm allowed to wish for. OK?

Back