Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Average Joe's 2018

Thanks for the props Lostinthewoods! I'm hoping those hand crafted beauties stay sharp with that thick elk hide! The clover pattern pins are for luck, so hope you take some more monsters this year!

I got some pictures yesterday that have my foaming at the mouth.

My 2017 NM antelope is ready and I could not be more excited with how it turned out. It was a neat buck with some cool characteristics and the taxidermist was able to capture them really well.

546feb8d4277de3bee2651645a361c16.jpg

39b1476e5f6d02b3769d4be2bcd9d7b2.jpg

6f34aaa2f8a4c98a1ec3670dc602995d.jpg

011cc8f1bfa5fa0a7d3ad84e8a17e4fa.jpg

4f14dca0d7c8b335d7a633ffcbc5230e.jpg

9558b8a38372829444a53c851fd4f267.jpg

0012d68ff9499fd7150a09984c57e4eb.jpg

5331015f108e74a5d5f8a6f197488010.jpg

September can’t get here quick enough. Now I’m excited to chase elk and to pick this up.

Well, Idaho draws were released yesterday, and I got "Not Selected" across the board. But my wife drew her 2nd choice elk tag! She got lucky and plucked a late Dec cow tag. I'm pretty excited for the hunt. We will probably be bringing the kids with us again, just like last year's deer hunt. It could get pretty sporty, especially if the weather gets cold, but we'll make it happen.

With the draws out of the way, my plans are just about finalized. I have a 6 week long work trip to Texas starting tomorrow, so summer scouting isn't going to happen. I plan on heading to NM on the way home and hunting barbary sheep for a few days in mid-august. I'm going to hold out for a mature ram, or shoot a big ewe to get mounted as a companion for the one I got last year. Those things are just too cool, and a pair would be awesome to have.

Aug and Sep schedule (ELK):
I'm helping a friend from Wi chase elk in ID 25-26 Aug, and it looks like I'll be hunting elk with a buddy in Eastern Oregon Day 28 Aug to 3 Sep. I'll hunt deer after work near home between then and when I go to NM for the elk hunt down there.

October (Bear, Deer, Barbary re-attempt if needed, ID rifle Elk):
I'm planning on heading up north to try to shoot a bear or two near where I was moose hunting last year. I'm planning on taking a few new hunters up to the mountains for deer in late October, in addition to helping my wife fill her deer tag again down in the desert.

November (ID rifle elk, archery mule deer, WI gun season)
I'm still undecided on what i'm going to do for elk in Idaho, but I'm going to try to buy a quota rifle tag for late Oct/early Nov. If I can't get that tag, I'll have to figure out an OTC hunt somewhere. (there's a potential opportunity that I could archery hunt in ID the weekend of 8/9 Sep, but I won't have much time to get it done). I will buy a second deer tag for ID this year, and I'll hunt every opportunity I get until either the tags are full or the seasons are over. I'm going to go home to WI and hunt the gun season for the first time in 9 years (as well as spend Thanksgiving with the family).

December (Cow elk/late season deer)
The only plans for December are filling my wife's cow tag, and maybe hunting late season deer in ID (assuming I have a tag still).

As always, I have to be flexible, and the schedule will most likely change A LOT. But if all goes well, I might have to buy another freezer. That's a problem I'm willing to deal with.

I'm a little sad I won't be able to do any significant scouting this summer, but I can't wait to get the hunting started!

While I was on my way down to Texas for work, I got a notification that the National Forest in NM was opened back up to the public. So I did what any elk nut would do if given the opportunity... I altered my route a little bit and spent a day scouting.

The first few wallows I checked out were bone dry, and it wasn't giving me any warm fuzzies that the area was going to hold elk this year.

64dbc369733c9c6df2212039d1ed1145.jpg

e99c2a1960ac6058292f52265fedc43e.jpg

I did pick up 2 sheds to add to the sell pile though, so that's always nice.

081ad35a3579ccb5525f822c401653f7.jpg

7c087528d54f59cc48a2751068b762e8.jpg

After checking 5 other potential water holes and hanging 2 cameras on a moist spot, I headed to my honey hole a few miles away from any roads. Sure enough, there's a solid reason why this spot has produced in the past.

236f08b474e9553038fc36d284d2de07.jpg

df777c377e1cf398067774769550b868.jpg

e45849ecdb5ba2ddc9b2c77d180fb085.jpg

I found a spring that had a steady flow of running water coming straight out of the side of the mountain. There were elk EVERYWHERE in this little remote drainage. I saw two groups of 15+ cows and calves, and even got within 120yds of 6 decent bulls. One of which was a really nice 6x6. Unfortunately I had just put my camera in my pack to protect it from a nasty monsoon that dumped a ton of water on me.

Overall I'd say the scouting trip was a huge success. I hung 4 cameras which should give us a solid idea of what's in the area. Fingers crossed that they're still there come September.

This is making me want to meet you on your way back home so we can check our cameras lol

What part of NM were you in CJ? I have a cousin that lives in Springer and I have always wanted to visit him!

We're in Northern NM. ;) I don't want to get too specific and end up lowering our odds of drawing this unit again. It's one of those sleeper units that has good draw odds and good success rates. People don't think of it as a trophy unit, but I've seen a few bulls come out of the unit that almost anyone would be happy to kill.

That's right in my neck of the woods. Let me know if I can help with any info when you do draw.

I’ll be honest, one of the things I always ask when I go to a new area is where are the best local food joints. I love little mom and pop places or local dives. I’ll be staying in dysart when I go up.

Little Ma and Pa places to eat are the best places to go! The deserts are usually home made too, just like grandma used to make!!!!!

There is a country store & gas station not too far away from where I elk hunt.
The breakfast burritos are out of this world and they also have a little ice cream & coffee stand.

Every time I go into town I grab a green chili breakfast burrito, a couple scoops of ice cream, and an espresso shot! No rhyme or reason why, it’s just my thing!

No wonder I always gain weight on my trips! :)

It's going to be really hard to pay attention during the rest of this course I'm in knowing that my Barbary Sheep is done!

1ba1a4e6096a9a477419356ae5231373.jpg

16ce8b35a5aa0e6483988740c5b8d3fb.jpg

e4cebf5be2fcd69a9b2fe47584220144.jpg

Once again, Paul and Vince Gallegos, and their team at Imperial did an amazing job, and I can't be more grateful for not just their world class art, but also for being such genuine and honest people. It's always a pleasure talking with them, and, though my bank account disagrees 😉, I can't wait to do business with them again.

That's one of the better looking mounts I've ever seen it's beautiful love the long mane of hair on the chest.

That's one of the better looking mounts I've ever seen it's beautiful love the long mane of hair on the chest.

I can't wait to see it in person! A lot of people think I'm crazy for taking all of my animals to a taxidermist over 900 miles away, but every time I look at the mounts I have zero regret. All of the mounts they do are truly works of art.

I'm excited for all 3 animals, but I'm most excited for the barbary sheep. They're one of the neatest animals I've ever seen in person. I think the most accurate adjective to describe them is majestic. That long flowing hair is beautiful, while they still exude a tough and rugged appearance. Also, knowing where these things live, makes them even more impressive. I might be addicted.

That is a beautiful mount they do some really nice work! It won't be long and they will be working on another trophy for you i'm sure!

That is a beautiful mount they do some really nice work! It won't be long and they will be working on another trophy for you i'm sure!

Thank you. I'll have to kill something very special this year to do another shoulder mount. As much as I love the mounts, I just don't have much wall space, or depth in my pocketbook. Haha.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back