Generator or new cooler

Addicting

Last year I built a enclosed trailer to pull to MT. Thread https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?275508-New-hunting-trailer-and-truck&highlight=camper

It worked very well for 2 people. It has 110v for use at a campground or 12 volt for off grid. The 12v only runs the LED lights and exhaust fans. Last year we went to a place that we just pulled in, plugged in and we were set. This year I am headed to Wyoming and maybe a hail Mary NM trip God willing. Both of those will be off grid so plugging it in wont be an option with out a generator. Everyone in the hunting party has one but they are all house hold ones that are bigger and noisy which is counter productive to relaxing off the grid. We will be an hour from any convenience/gas stores so running back and forth isn't much of an option. We have a water source and a Katadyn Base Camp Pro 10L Water Filter.

So the two options I am looking at are a small 1200 watt one to run the fridge, coffee pot and charge batteries at night. I am looking for input from those of you that own one on quietness, output, and run time. Don't want to piss everyone off by being "that guy"

The other option is to remove the fridge and put a good cooler in its place and buy a percolator. I can charge phones/batteries off from a 400w invertor in my truck. My question to you that use a cooler for daily use is how long can I expect to get out of the ice/dry ice. Figure opening and closing it 2 times a day, once for breakfast and once for dinner. Right now I only have a 110 quart Coleman cooler which lasts about 4 days on dry ice if I don't open it. Plan in filling that with a cow and some doe antelope.

Looking for thoughts and experiences.

Thanks Tony

Buy a Honda 2000 generator, they're quiet and easy on gas. And a chain and lock!

I have seen several of the small Honda's or Yamaha's on CL recently, but that's here. I''d get one of those, maybe two and run it in tandem.

i run a Honda 2000 for several things.. at work they are pretty reliable. I also use them to run trash pumps to keep ponds open to late season goose hunt. you can get about 5-6 hours out of a tank of fuel or you can buy the extended fuel tank and get upward of 30 hours. They work awesome for waterfowl hunting because they are so quiet we set them up 80-100 yards away and run an extension cord and you can't hear them

I have seen several of the small Honda's or Yamaha's on CL recently, but that's here. I''d get one of those, maybe two and run it in tandem.

What are they running used? I found a 1000 here locally that the guy wants $525 for. I’m not sure that will run both if they are on together.

I'm looking to buy a generator for my new camper. Honda and Yamaha may be the best but I just can't get myself to spend that kind of money when there are a lot of mid priced generators with great reviews. After doing my research, I'm going to buy a Champion Generator. Since the family wants to be able to run the AC, I need 3,000 watts. So now the decision is to buy 2 of the 2,000 watt ones that will run together or 1 of the 3,400 watt ones. In the end they'll be about the same price at around $900. The 3,400 is 93 pounds and would be a bugger to wrestle into the truck by myself. The 2,000 would be plenty for my hunting trips and at only 48 pounds.

I hunted for 7 days in NW SD out of a 14x7 cargo trailer. It was the first week of archery season. We had a honda 2000 and ran a 5 cu ft freezer and an electric heater off the generator at night. Also had a deep cycle battery to run lights when the generator was off. Anyway the freezer kept ice all day with the power off and we ran the generator at night, maybe 6-8 hours. Some hot days we also turned the freezer on for a hour or so. The freezer turned off did a great job of keeping ice. I don’t think the generator could keep up with much more than the heater and freezer though. I could notice the sound of the generator, but could sleep through it. It was nice to have safe heat in the evening before bed and in the morning. We did not have neighbors but that may be a consideration.

I have two Honda 2000's They can be used together for 4000 watts. They are expensive no doubt about that, but they are easy to handle and quiet. Bring extra fuel with you and you can be out as long as you want. With using just one it will not run the microwave if your using the lights/heater in the camper. For the AC both are a must. They also have a eco setting that's lets them idle down with a light load. Yup they are pricey but they work great and are quiet.
On a side note I have a older 4000 watt Coleman that would run everything. It has a 5 gal fuel tank that lasts about 8 hours. It's heavy and loud VERY loud. One time I heard it a mile way when hunting. It was cheap at the time but it's heavy "on wheels" and loud.

Dan

On a side note I have a older 4000 watt Coleman that would run everything. It has a 5 gal fuel tank that lasts about 8 hours. It's heavy and loud VERY loud. One time I heard it a mile way when hunting. It was cheap at the time but it's heavy "on wheels" and loud.

Dan

Talking with the other members on this hunt that is the same type we all have and I can’t imagine using that out west. Great for our house when the power is out but not in the mountains. I’ve found a couple of the Honda’s on FB and Craigslist but it will take all of my spotter budget that I’ve been saving to buy it. A 2000 was around 800.

I used a 600 watt generator for years just to keep my batteries charged. It would not run anything like a microwave or a refer. Only used it a couple of hours each evening.
My answer is get a better ice chest and buy a 2000 watt generator to run a couple of hours per day to charge batteries for lights. I finally purchased a 2000 watt generator last year and now I can use a microwave or whatever. I don't think I would run a generator all night.
The 1000 will work for some things but eventually you will want to use more power than it can deliver and you might as well just start with a 2000 watt.

I have a honda 3000 I. It is quiet and will run two small freezers all the lights in my 32’ gooseneck trailer and an electric skillet all at once. It will run a microwave or electric heater but would not run my air compressor. It used about 4 gallons a day in Wyoming last fall running all the time we spent at the trailer. It is bigger than the 2000 but still manageable by one person but the wheel kit would be nice. I bought it on Craig’s list for 750 dollars and would definitely do it again it’s been great and starts very easy.

my sister has a mobile grooming business and runs her trailers with generators. I think she has tried every brand out there and now buys honda's exclusively. She uses the generator about 6 hours a day. The honda's have not been without issues but have been the most reliable for sure.

If you wind up deciding to go the Honda generator route, check into the one from Harbor Freight (Predator brand). I generally put a lot of stock into name brand, but for the price I couldn't hep but try the HF brand generator. The specs are the same as the Honda for about half the price. You can find a coupon to pick it up for $489-$529 range. I bought mine with a 1-year extended warranty and have had it almost a year with no issues at all. I use it a lot for my business and it always starts and runs great. I've read online (for whatever that is worth) that the parts from Hondas are interchangeable with the Predator brand. It's apparently an identical knock-off.

They also now have a size bigger than the 2000 that is supposed to be about as quiet.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Regular price on the 2000 is $499 so I'm thinking the coupon is for $429. Regular price in the 3500 is $749. If you can find a coupon for it you could probably get it for under $700.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-62523.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-63584.html

Last edited:
If you wind up deciding to go the Honda generator route, check into the one from Harbor Freight (Predator brand). I generally put a lot of stock into name brand, but for the price I couldn't hep but try the HF brand generator. The specs are the same as the Honda for about half the price. You can find a coupon to pick it up for $489-$529 range. I bought mine with a 1-year extended warranty and have had it almost a year with no issues at all. I use it a lot for my business and it always starts and runs great. I've read online (for whatever that is worth) that the parts from Hondas are interchangeable with the Predator brand. It's apparently an identical knock-off.

They also now have a size bigger than the 2000 that is supposed to be about as quiet.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Regular price on the 2000 is $499 so I'm thinking the coupon is for $429. Regular price in the 3500 is $749. If you can find a coupon for it you could probably get it for under $700.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-62523.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-63584.html
our mechanic told me honda lost their patent or something so this harbor freight one is essentially the same thing

Ive used the Hondas in the past, if I ever need to buy a portable one, it will be them hands down.

I have the Orion 4k attached to my camper... it sometimes works...

Devils advocate here now:
If you are looking at this solely to use to run a fridge/coffee pot... might want to re-think the hunting game. You can get a couple nice coolers for the cost of the Honda's. Lets say you get a deal on a new Honda genny, that's like 899, least in Utah. That's 2 awesome coolers. Pack one with nothing but ice/frozen milk jugs etc. Then swap that in to the other to keep food/drink cool. Not to mention the coolers don't require maintenance to the extent the generator will.

Ive used the Hondas in the past, if I ever need to buy a portable one, it will be them hands down.

I have the Orion 4k attached to my camper... it sometimes works...

Devils advocate here now:
If you are looking at this solely to use to run a fridge/coffee pot... might want to re-think the hunting game. You can get a couple nice coolers for the cost of the Honda's. Lets say you get a deal on a new Honda genny, that's like 899, least in Utah. That's 2 awesome coolers. Pack one with nothing but ice/frozen milk jugs etc. Then swap that in to the other to keep food/drink cool. Not to mention the coolers don't require maintenance to the extent the generator will.

That is what was on my mind with the cooler portion as well. I would go that route but the thing bothering me is condensation inside an enclosed trailer. It’s manageable with just us and the vapor put off by the stove. The issue is if it rained or our boots are wet. It was really bice last year to run electric heat and our boot dryers. It made some miserable weather not be so bad with warm dry clothes. If I go the cooler route I loose that ability.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back