Elk Hunting Layers

mr_steve

I made a video explaining my layering system and the purpose of each layer. A fundamental understanding for staying comfortable while hunting that I feel some people never hear about. Lots of marketing out there that confuses people about the basics with their claims to do everything with one layer.

I'm hoping it helps someone planning their first trip out West! Please note that everyone is a little different on their system and I missed some points in the video. I do see a lot of people looking for one jacket to do it all like tree stand hunting and that just doesn't work in the backcountry. Lastly, don't think because of the thumbnail that I am advocating for all Kuiu (or matching systems of any brand like Sitka or First Lite), it's just what I have. Lots of great ways to acquire miss matched layers that do just as good of a job at less cost through ebay, REI garage sale, military surplus, facebook marketplace, HuntTalk, etc. The important part is to have all the functioning layers for your system.

My plan is to hunt Idaho archery elk unless I draw AZ which is unlikely. Getting excited!

[video=youtube;3S-Jg79M94Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S-Jg79M94Y&t=2s[/video]

Its a good video, put together well. Prefect for explanation of how to layer correctly.

I liked it. My wife says if I don’t have matching camo the squirrels will throw nuts at me.

Super helpful for meN I'm planning my first elk hunt in Idaho next year, and ive not seen a lot on HOW to layer..thanks

Awesome! I'm glad it helped. Sometimes prepping for that first hunt it can feel overwhelming. Good luck on your hunt this Fall!

Funny, I've watched some of your videos before.

Sub'd

Cool to hear that. We have some good films but this year we are dropping daily videos from 5 separate hunts in Alaska (2 sheep, 2 caribou and one bear) and then deer hunts in Wyoming and Montana. Going to be an awesome year of content coming out! Thanks for the sub, we appreciate everyone's support.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ksexton22
Back