New from Northern VA

LukeUSNA07

Greetings!

Currently stationed in Northern VA, originally from PA, been moving around a lot and starting a family. Any Navy folks in the forum here? Am learning how to balance time at home and getting out in the woods to scout and hunt. So my hunting dreams revolve around forums, gear reviews, watching Randy Newberg videos, and MeatEater, and other such fun youtube videos to stay in the mindset that someday I'll get back out there on public land to hunt. Was finally able to get back out this past fall for whitetail and haven't stopped thinking about and planning next season. Anyone have experience with the Northern VA, Fairfax county urban archery program? Thanks to Randy and friends for the motivation and encouragement to keep the dream alive.

- Luke

Welcome from the Eastern Shore of Maryland. You are not far from Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge near Cambridge, MD. Great public hunting is available. Lots of us chase those miniature elk also known as Sika deer.

Welcome, I don't have any experience with the urban program there but I've heard good things. Alot of guys do the urban programs here and love it. A guy I know said he onc e had to wait for two women to take a picture of a doe he was drawn on. Figured it was not a good thing to stick one while people were watching.

I'd check out c.f. Phelps wma if you wanted to hunt with a rifle or muzzleloader.

I'm navy and I can also give you tons of pointers for the eastern part of VA and western part too. I was born and raised around Fredericksburg.

Welcome from the Eastern Shore of Maryland. You are not far from Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge near Cambridge, MD. Great public hunting is available. Lots of us chase those miniature elk also known as Sika deer.

Check out Meateater Podcast #89, "Ghost of the Marsh", if you want to learn more.

Welcome! I'd join your local BHA chapter too for networking purposes for more info on local opportunities. The sika deer hunting is very intriguing. Definitely listen to the MeatEater podcast about it. I can't relate to your struggle of living out East. I told my wife we will never live East of the Mississippi River lol. That being said I bet there's some backcountry type adventures to be had within a few hours of you. Hope you find some adventures!

Welcome! I started my military career as a Corpsman, then got out and a few years later went in the Army and retired. I'm also an east coast transplant to Colorado.

Very cool - thanks for the warm welcome ... looking forward to sharing some Ubran Archery program experience, and I'm researching that Sika topic (listening to MeatEater Podcast right now).

Feel free to PM if you have questions about the Urban Archery Program. I've been hunting it for the past 4 years, so might be able to help.

Karl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back