Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

5 points to burn CO rifle muley?

Mcseal2

I am looking to burn my CO points after not drawing a WY elk tag this year. I've hunted muleys in Wyoming but never hunted them hard in Colorado. I had a deer tag along on an elk hunt a long time ago.

Any advice on areas to research or avoid right now? I'm late starting on this, I really thought I'd get the elk tag this time around.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Mcseal2,
There are about 150 deer units in CO and each unit has 2-3 rifle seasons. If you want some input, you probably need to reduce the options to a much smaller set of options than all of CO. Look through the 2018 draw recap and get a list of units and season you are interested in hunting based on your ability to draw with 5 points. Further refine the list by amount of public land, access, etc.

Thanks I will do that. I'm going to go through units on CO's website and Gohunt this afternoon and look at my options.

There's some good 4th season deer hunts that you might be able to get into. You'd be closer into the rut and might get some weather to bring them down lower.

Can't really help, but I'd certainly look into some 4th rifle hunts. There are also some really cool early season wilderness hunts that could be a cool experience. I would say 3rd or 4th rifle if you want to shoot a whopper, however.

Looks like my 4th season options are limited to units where they say on Gohunt bucks may migrate off the unit of to private. Success rates look good on several, but with limited tag numbers a lot of that success may come off private. One that looks promising is the 80/81 hunt? Another option I looked at is 6 2nd rifle primarily because I've the terrain looks somewhat similar to units I hunted on the Wyoming side and the points it took.

I'm sure open to other options also, these are just a couple that I thought might be a little less weather dependent than some due to the mix of terrain. I'm sure no expert on Colorado, I really didn't plan on burning my points yet. It looks like if I don't do it this year it will be at least 2022 before I do. I can only get away from the ranch for one good hunt each year and I think AK caribou and WY elk will be happening in the next couple years.

Thanks very much for the help.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back