Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hunting 2 states at the same time

Jlrineer

I am planning a western Montana hunt this fall and we've narrowed down some of our options to a couple border units between Montana and Idaho. I was thinking about entering the late season draw in ID for one of the border units and getting back into some roadless areas on the border. If successful in both draws I would have 2 bull tags one for each state. I would really just hate to be hunting the border and get on elk just to have them hop the line into Idaho. Has anyone ever done this before? I'd imagine if you killed one in ID you'd have to clean the skull out good before bringing it back over to Montana because of CWD. Other than that I was just wondering if there were any other issues with this. I am sure a game warden would want to know exactly where you killed it if you were putting an ID tag on a bull and dragging it back through Montana.

Just pick a state and hunt the elk. If you draw a controlled hunt in Idaho, you want to spend all your time doing that. If you don't, get a Montana general tag or whatever and give that your all. The divide country is really rough and in many places you can't just easily bounce back and forth. In many cases, the better hunting would be not right up against the unit boundary, particularly if there's some snow.

I do this each year. You need to treat each hunt separately after the kill. You cant take animals into ID that havent been taken care of properly for CWD, but you can into MT. Also, focus in your target area and only go i to the other state if the elk go that way.

I think it’s a dumb idea. If you don’t concentrate your efforts on one area, you’ll be spinning your wheels with no elk killed.

ive hunted 2 in 1 and 3 in 1 hunts on the same trip,,kinda like your talking,,helps make the combo trip more bang for your buck if you can time it and the draws right.

I would say no . Concentrate on one spot . If hunting Montana get the big game combo so you can shoot a deer if the opportunity presents itself

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I guess there's really only a few spots on the divide that would really be viable for a two tag hunt and I am sure with snow they might not be as easy as they look. I may put in for the late season tag in ID with the hopes that I tag out early in MT and then hop over the border and try to fill another tag before I have to head home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back