Caribou Gear

Large Logging Fuel Reduction Project- Over the Winter in our Hunting Area-Elk Effect?

Dirtymo

Hey Guys,

Just got off the phone with UFS. They were building roads for this logging effort during archery season last year, and are now set to complete by March. The logging roads built and eventual logging ended up making it to the area we actually hunted. What effect has anyone seen this play on elk, year following logging?

We have a 31 hour drive and can obviously pivot out of this spot, but wanted some perspective.

Thanks!

“There is an ongoing need to apply active forest management techniques like prescribed burning and forest thinning across Colorado elk country. Such conservation work enhances wildlife habitat but it also improves overall forest health,” said Blake Henning, RMEF chief conservation officer.
http://www.rmef.org/NewsandMedia/Pr...undingBenefitsColoradoElkHabitatResearch.aspx

Depends on the extent of the logging project though from the leading foundation for elk conservation, seems thinning supports elk habitat. I would add the USFS scientists reviews on flora and fauna value towards thinning though I suppose to start, that's one of many statements by RMEF related to thinning in support of habitat.

If it is surrounded by thick, old forest it will be an elk magnet. They love the new growth opening up the forest brings.

An island of freshly logged or burned with nearby cover is what I look for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back