Caribou Gear Tarp

How has winter been so far?

pgidley

Well I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, or the sun over the snowbanks here in the frosty North. How has the winter been for the 'lopes this year? Barring any big March storms, of course.

I was worrying about those guys myself a little bit today. I haven't gotten out of my little hole a whole lot this year, but in NE Wyoming it seems like its been a long kindof moderate winter if that makes sense. Temps. haven't been super cold, but the highs have been colder than average and it has stayed that way for quite awhile. Hopefully the little stinkers are finding enough food. I see them everyday, but I am not knowledgeable enough to judge whether they are in good shape or not. I can't see ribs and hip bones on them yet. I suppose that is good sign. A lot of years we get a break and things loosen up for them to find new food, but the snow has just hung around this year it seems like. Its hard to break through, but there is some bushes still above the snow. I was looking for some data to compare to the 2011 winter that was bad for the antelope and struck out. 50 miles in any direction of my little hole, it seems like its been a fairly mild winter. The snow pack in the east and Big Horn Basin is well below normal it looked like. I guess I am hoping for a March that comes in like a lamb for a little break, and then it can dump some more snow for good moisture going into spring. Not a lot of help from me.

I wouldn’t say the winter in most of Wyoming has been severe enough to worry about antelope unless March is nasty. Statewide mountain snowpack is hovering at or just about normal. Snow on the plains is pretty minimal in central Wyoming right now. I’ve swept snow off my driveway in Casper 3-4 times and needed a shovel twice.

Not a lot of snow here in central Wyoming but it has been cold. This morning was -12 and 3 days last week -23 was the low.

Seems like there's been a stretch of pretty significant weather between Laramie and Casper, Shirley Basin area. I haven't been through there recently, but I have noticed the roads closed a lot and the basin is at 127% right now. Maybe take a drive up there soon...

The lack of significant snow means that they don't have to paw through snow for food. So as long as they can find a place out of the wind, the cold is more of a nuisance than anything. The worst part about deeper snow is when it crusts over the crust can cut their legs when they have to walk through it.

There was an article in our local paper about the weather in the Gunnison basin. For January, the average low temp was -10, average high was 23, for an average temp of 6.5! Snow in my yard is crotch deep too. I'm ready for spring!

anterlopedundee poated one link to webcams across Wyoming to look where there is snow cover, and here is another that can come in handy:

https://www.weather.gov/riw/cms_webcams_qview_i80

ClearCreek

By watching the WYDOT cams over the whole winter you can see if there has been continued significant snow. Lack of snow like around the Douglas area usually means that they will get adequate food ensuring a favorable survival rate. Also helps against predators.

Well this is a couple weeks old now but I just saw it. Things have not improved in the Black Hills area I would say. Its a more severe winter here than I thought. Maybe moderate compared to Big Piney winters. That has kindof been my bar for bad winters. Bondurant I would agree with the other post still takes the cake. I am not tough enough for one of those winters anymore. There are a few south slopes that are open and the animals have been able to get to some food, hopefully its enough for them to hold out. Deer are looking pretty pregnant from what I have seen. Hopefully the fawns do alright.

In MT I'd have said we were having a pretty mild winter... That is until February came. Been miserable since then. My wife puts trail cams up on the ridge near our house. We've caught some pics and vids of pregnant mulie does in belly-deep snow looking lethargic and trying eek out a living on spruce and mahogany. Don't know how the goats are doing but its been darn cold and the snow is deep enough they're gonna have to work for their browse. Hopefully it won't last too much longer.

Winter was late in northern Wyoming which is usually worse for wildlife than an early one.

Having said that, I have yet to see a winter in 12 years of hunting here actually negatively affect antelope since they reproduce typically with twins and bounce back so quick. During those 12 years there have been some doozy winters and every year the hunting is still at a minimum good for antelope.

In the Root, as of last week, the calves were lagging far behind the herds. The Elk jumping fences had very little energy to expel. Today, it was in the 50's and the snow is melting here in the banana belt of Montana, but the snow is still over 16" in my yard. The Ice on the River broke yesterday which is good because the sqwala hatch is usually this weekend as a general rule of thumb.

Montana is finally seeing warmer temps and the snow is melting fast in the lower country. It is a bit late as we are starting to see dead deer around the ranch house. I suspect that there will be more dying as we are still a month away from the usual late April green up.

Here is a good article from a few weeks ago:

Winter in Montana came late but turned into a real bitch from mid January through mid March with snow piling up and extremely cold temps.

Montana is finally seeing warmer temps and the snow is melting fast in the lower country. It is a bit late as we are starting to see dead deer around the ranch house. I suspect that there will be more dying as we are still a month away from the usual late April green up.

Here is a good article from a few weeks ago:

Winter in Montana came late but turned into a real bitch from mid January through mid March with snow piling up and extremely cold temps.
I will second this. I just hope it is over. Still close to a foot of snow on the north facing slopes.

In the Root, as of last week, the calves were lagging far behind the herds. The Elk jumping fences had very little energy to expel. Today, it was in the 50's and the snow is melting here in the banana belt of Montana, but the snow is still over 16" in my yard. The Ice on the River broke yesterday which is good because the sqwala hatch is usually this weekend as a general rule of thumb.

It certainly feels like spring now, but man I don't ever remember there being snow like this on the valley floor this late. I had a picture pop up of my yard two years ago, and it looked like I had already mowed once.

Lots of south facing hills have opened up this week though, so hopefully they'll start getting green soon. Will probably be a hell of a year for mosquitoes with all the ground water.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back