PEAX Equipment

Baby coming— guess I am bow hunting

lifesupport4u

Well first child due in October and I am excited and nervous. I was going to rifle hunt, but it looks like early September is my best bet to be able to get out in the elk woods this year. Hoping I will be lucky and draw the “shoot for the stars” licenses in NM. Not sure I am ready to bow hunt... I have been getting closer every year and should have sealed the deal a few years now on elk with my rifle. Archery is a big leap for me but excited to give it a go and hunt some warmer weather. Also trying to find some late season options a little closer to home.

Good luck to everyone in the draws...

Congrats on the baby! I was in the same boat last year. You'll forget all about that trip once that baby comes.

Congrats on the baby! I'm a relatively new father myself- it's hard and its amazing.

I've also only hunted rifle so far, but I'm wanting to start to prepare for the jump into archery as well. My cousin is coming to visit next week and bringing out his old bow for me to start shooting.

I'm curious what steps you took in the process to prepare yourself to start bow hunting?

Well first child due in October and I am excited and nervous. I was going to rifle hunt, but it looks like early September is my best bet to be able to get out in the elk woods this year. Hoping I will be lucky and draw the “shoot for the stars” licenses in NM. Not sure I am ready to bow hunt... I have been getting closer every year and should have sealed the deal a few years now on elk with my rifle. Archery is a big leap for me but excited to give it a go and hunt some warmer weather. Also trying to find some late season options a little closer to home.

Good luck to everyone in the draws...

Congrats! I was in a similar boat to you a few years ago. My wife was due mid September. I had to only hunt rifle tags that year. It worked out as I got an elk point and killed a bruiser this year. My wife is once again due in September this upcoming year. Rifle season it is. So glad I invested in a wall tent! It will be much nicer than a little tent in the freezing cold weather.

Congrats on the new kiddo! When I went to Idaho in 2016 my third little one was due in 2 weeks, lol. Kids are a lot of work over a short time which is rewarding for the rest of your life.

Congrats on the Baby! Any elk tag at any time of the year is better than no tag. Go have fun!

This is a great topic. I have my first child due in July and it would be interesting to hear how some of you more experienced fathers/hunters balance hunting season with everything else. I am planning the opposite of lifesupport4u and switching from archery to rifle. Last year I hunted 30 days from Sept to Jan and the year before that I hunted 40. I know there is no way I will be hunting even close to that this year.

RLTW

This is a great topic. I have my first child due in July and it would be interesting to hear how some of you more experienced fathers/hunters balance hunting season with everything else. I am planning the opposite of lifesupport4u and switching from archery to rifle. Last year I hunted 30 days from Sept to Jan and the year before that I hunted 40. I know there is no way I will be hunting even close to that this year.

RLTW

Yup. I hunted 3 seasons last year... that won't happen this year unless I draw NM pronghorn, elk and a late season deer tag here in CO.

Back