Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Drew the Wyoming general elk

Haha . Yes . I own 800 acres of prime river bottom in NE ND you better believe I know what it means . Only thing different is this guys asking about public land , not my private land or anyone else’s private land

Just picked up a ND deer tag, mind if I come hunt? I’ll bring the banquets.

i was born and raised in evanston, wy. moved to south georgia in my late teens, we will rifle hunt 100%, my younger brother and a friend have never been. its been nearly 20 years since me and my dad hunted here, back when we were residents, usually hunted the unintas and the range east of flaming gorge. this will more than likely be the last year we will draw and have my dad be in good enough health to elk hunt. i get it, ive not given enough to this community forum to probably ask much from, i prefer to sit in the back and read and learn from questions others have asked so as to not re ask a common question, so let met re ask a very specific question that wont step into anyone's magical elk spot. our biggest decision is going to be WHEN, we drew the general like i said in my original question. I expect to end up south of jackson and try our hand in the units east of starvalley accross the wyoming range to Labarge, big piney, hwy 191 line. my remaining family and friends are either moved on or dead. what's the weather been in these areas during the october rifle hunt the past few years? i can only get isolated information from simply googling the weather for this region. has the area been seeing snowfall that sets in high and usually stays, or is the area seeing warmer than normal temps and lower than normal snow fall? maybe im asking too much? either whatever information anyone would like to divulge i would greatly appreciate it.

If you are looking south of Jackson, you have units you could rifle hunt starting late Sept. As far as the weather during the Oct rifle, almost always by the 15th the bulls are still high in the basins. Of the bulls I have taken on or near the opener they have all been between 9800 - 9200'. By the end of Oct it is about 50/50 over the years I have hunted that enough snow is present to kick them down to the edges of the NF. Every bull I have taken the last week of the season has been between 9300-8300'.

As far as where to go, honestly I would say pick a drainage and go. You cant go wrong with any of them, its all great elk country. If your hunting early start high and work low to find the bulls. If your hunting late, start low and work high until you find the bulls.

Weather fluctuates so much in those areas during that time, but it takes a good amount of snow to really drive them low. Some of the best areas will be in wilderness if you know a Wyoming resident (bull:cow ratio, pressure, age class, etc...). Otherwise, mulecreek is right; pick a good drainage and do some pre-season scouting.

If you are looking south of Jackson, you have units you could rifle hunt starting late Sept. As far as the weather during the Oct rifle, almost always by the 15th the bulls are still high in the basins. Of the bulls I have taken on or near the opener they have all been between 9800 - 9200'. By the end of Oct it is about 50/50 over the years I have hunted that enough snow is present to kick them down to the edges of the NF. Every bull I have taken the last week of the season has been between 9300-8300'.

As far as where to go, honestly I would say pick a drainage and go. You cant go wrong with any of them, its all great elk country. If your hunting early start high and work low to find the bulls. If your hunting late, start low and work high until you find the bulls.

Any advice for archery in this area? We normally rifle hunt but taking bows this year. Having a tough time deciding which week to hunt, especially with the Sep. 15 deer opener.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back