Western South Dakota Coyote

smw110136

Heading to Deadwood this weekend for a bachelor party. While everyone else hits the slopes, I decided to give some coyote calling a try on Saturday.

There is plenty of public access north of Belle Fourche that is likely good coyote calling territory, but was curious if any HuntTalkers have experience calling in the National Forest area around Deadwood and Spearfish. Might be fun to try calling in the Black Hills for coyotes, rather than the flat country an hour or so north of there.

Don't need any honey holes, but looking to see if anyone has information on success calling the hills versus calling the flats to the north.

I know people that have called them in areas north east of pactola reservoir about 3-5 miles as the crow flies with some success. Fairly hit and miss on finding them but there are a lot in that area. The problem is that there are a lot of housing developments in those areas so familiarity with the area was key. The coyotes in the hills seem to be close to areas where there are more housing developments in my experience.

I appreciate the information. I kind of guessed there might be some issues with hunting NF in the hills because of housing developments and what not. Might be better off just trying the less developed areas to the north

You could drive down boulder canyon to the camp five area, to mt. Roosevelt, head down 385 around the cluster crossing road. Problems going to be it’s lion season so everyone with a fox pro has been out calling, so everything will be a bit...call shy. Look at the interactive map on game and fish’s website and go have fun.

Edit: you dudes should stop by Lewies in lead, burgers are AWESOME!

I downloaded the public land access file onto my GPS from the South Dakota Game & Fish website. That's a pretty handy download they provide to hunters. I am more excited about exploring new territory (new to me) than anything else. If I can call in a coyote, better yet. I'll be sure to remember Lewies in Lead. Thanks!

Back