MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Bears leave park to find food

Cant wait for the day when we let science dictate our management decisions on the landscape.....

HA!

Wildlife management, climate change, vaccines... shit, seat-belts... people only like science when it supports their world view.

A very interesting study. Few thoughts I have after reading it.....

It mentioned placing an ordnance for bear proof trash in 2000 in Gatlinburg. It is really that hard for all these other areas to do the same?

If more bear proof places are created, will those bears going outside the park just keep roaming farther in search of food?

Can habitat improvements be done inside the park to provide more food for bears, or are there just too many bears for the park to support on its own?

And yes bears do fall out of trees just as squirrels and other animals. Few years ago I went with a biologist to check on a sow that was having a slow recovery after being worked up days prior. We tracked her and ran her and her cubs up a tree, but one of the cubs was missing. A quick look around, and we found the cub dead. It had climbed a small tree and fell. When it fell, it's neck was caught perfectly in a narrow fork of the tree. Sad sight to see.

A very interesting study. Few thoughts I have after reading it.....

It mentioned placing an ordnance for bear proof trash in 2000 in Gatlinburg. It is really that hard for all these other areas to do the same?

If more bear proof places are created, will those bears going outside the park just keep roaming farther in search of food?

Can habitat improvements be done inside the park to provide more food for bears, or are there just too many bears for the park to support on its own?

And yes bears do fall out of trees just as squirrels and other animals. Few years ago I went with a biologist to check on a sow that was having a slow recovery after being worked up days prior. We tracked her and ran her and her cubs up a tree, but one of the cubs was missing. A quick look around, and we found the cub dead. It had climbed a small tree and fell. When it fell, it's neck was caught perfectly in a narrow fork of the tree. Sad sight to see.

Many of the areas around do have bear proof trash cans and more residents are following suit. No food in the park due to a lack of habitat. I could speculate on what they would do in the case more bear proof things are put in, but I wont. It is part of the NPS, so the habitat work is few and far between. If habitat work would be done, it would be boo-ed by local media outlets and local watch dog groups who rely on emotion to keep their coffers full and the donations coming.

It is scary. But, Ill just keep beating my head against the wall hoping I find a weak spot.

I am just in a sort of grumpy mood - kind of BuzzH like.

To be truthful, science will always be part of the equation. But it can never be all of the equation for several reasons. One of them is that science does not choose goals and objectives. Those are always political. Science can only tell you if they are achievable and the best way to get to them, or at least get closer to them.

I am just in a sort of grumpy mood - kind of BuzzH like.

To be truthful, science will always be part of the equation. But it can never be all of the equation for several reasons. One of them is that science does not choose goals and objectives. Those are always political. Science can only tell you if they are achievable and the best way to get to them, or at least get closer to them.

I agree. That's been my experience and observation as well. But what we see more of is the selective acknowledgement of science by orgs and individuals if it doesn't align with their "political affiliation" or goals. Prescribed fire in the east is a good example, slowly these groups had to acknowledge the science and benefits of re-introduction of the fire regime. Hopefully this will get them to start changing their tune on TSI and other habitat practices.... We will see I reckon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back