Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest Thoughts on Tents?

Joe700

Looking for a 2 person tent that can withstand any weather that might be thrown at someone hunting out west in the fall. Ideally under 200...

Thanks for suggestions!

Ive been using the marmot limelight 3p the last few years. Very happy with it. Comfortable with 2 people without having to stack up. Vestibules have lots of room for gear.

“Can withstand any weather” and “Under $200” pretty much means you’ll need to scour the used market and hope to get really lucky.

I’ve hunted in September when two feet of snow fell in 24 hours and in October when it snowed for eight straight days. To the tune of over seven feet. That is an awful lot to be prepared for under $200.

If you want to sleep two people in it I'd strongly recommend a 3P tent. I have a Fly creek 3p by Big Agnes and my son has a Copper Spur 3 person. Both are OK sized for 2 people. Can't imagine 3 people in one. I think mine was in the $300 range?? But it has held up to 3" of wet heavy snow and 1-2" of heavy hailstones. I was surprised it survived and didn't come down on us any of these times.

You are definitely going to have to compromise somewhere, probably weight for sure. You mention any weather, tents are classified generally as 3 or 4 season. In the price range you are looking at, you are probably looking at 3 season tents. I would be scouring some of the discount sites (Steep and cheap, REI Outlet, etc) and looking for a previous years model or something similar.

IMO, the Marmot Light mentioned above is alot of tent for the money. I have 2007ish vintage 2p, that I have used alot. Nothing fancy, just a solid tent. I wish they would have not added the vertical lower walls (they just look like they will catch wind more). I would look at some of the more reputable backpacking brands like: Big Agnes, Black Diamond, Nemo, Mountain Hardware, ETC. You will probably find the best deals.

This is a little over your threshold, but would be a good option: https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/152366/mountain-hardwear-vision-3-tent

Looking for a 2 person tent that can withstand any weather that might be thrown at someone hunting out west in the fall. Ideally under 200...

Thanks for suggestions!

IMO, you are not going to find a $200 tent that can withstand any weather hunting out west. What is your application for this tent? Backpacking in during archery season or November hunting from a base camp are two different style of tents for me. You can probably buy one that will fit one of those scenarios, but not both IMO.

well thanks for the thoughts.

24 inches of snow ? Sounds scary.

I have close to zero experience hunting out west.

I want a tent to allow me to elk hunt (archery or rifle) but I am hesitant to spend a bunch of money before I have actually gone hunting out west.

Maybe, I should rephrase this...what is a good started backpacking tent that will get me through most of the weather in elk season and be under 200? Thanks

Find a part time job, save a few hundred extra dollars and buy a Hilleberg. I have a Nallo 3gt for a two man tent. I’d buy a smaller Hilleberg model for a one man.

It can snow 12 months a year in Elk Country. If you are looking for a quality backpacking tent on a budget, you will do just fine with an REI Half dome. If it snows 18 inches on you over night, the elk are moving out of the country anyway.

I compared my parent's REI tent to my Copper Spur and the extra ounces of their tent saved them about $200. If you are going to be backpacking in, you are going to have a 3 mile range for packing out an elk solo unless you have a horse packer lined up.

Pretty much anything with the REI label is going to be top 80% tier and probably made by a name brand. Good warranty and recognized for resale if you want to upgrade.

Ive been using the marmot limelight 3p the last few years. Very happy with it. Comfortable with 2 people without having to stack up. Vestibules have lots of room for gear.

I've had a Limelight 3p for 10 years now. Put it through hell in terms of wind and rain, but never heavy snow. Been an awesome tent for two person backpacking trips in the summer through the end of October here in Oregon.

We’ve used a Limelight for mountain climbing. It weathered a hellacious wind on Mt Rainier.

IMO, you are not going to find a $200 tent that can withstand any weather hunting out west. What is your application for this tent? Backpacking in during archery season or November hunting from a base camp are two different style of tents for me. You can probably buy one that will fit one of those scenarios, but not both IMO.

Not true my first Backpack hunt in Colorado three of up went into a Wilderness area and took a Friends Kelly Grand Mesa 4 man tent and for three of us it worked great, I as impressed with this tent and bought one when we returned for my Son.
I have borrowed it for another backpack hunting trip for just two of us and we could store all the packs inside or under the vestibule with just two people. Weight of this tent is 7lb 8oz. and we split the tent between our two packs. For weather I have had snow several inches and temps in the single digits.
So yes you can find a tent for under $200 and it will last several years if not longer.
http://https://www.trailspace.com/gear/kelty/grand-mesa-4/

You can get an REI Half Dome 2+ for $229 regular price. They regularly drop 30% or so on such tents during semi-annual sales. That tent will serve you well for years, has an unbeatable warranty, and is a decently lightweight option!

Not true my first Backpack hunt in Colorado three of up went into a Wilderness area and took a Friends Kelly Grand Mesa 4 man tent and for three of us it worked great, I as impressed with this tent and bought one when we returned for my Son.
I have borrowed it for another backpack hunting trip for just two of us and we could store all the packs inside or under the vestibule with just two people. Weight of this tent is 7lb 8oz. and we split the tent between our two packs. For weather I have had snow several inches and temps in the single digits.
So yes you can find a tent for under $200 and it will last several years if not longer.
http://https://www.trailspace.com/gear/kelty/grand-mesa-4/

I'm not about to recommend someone a 7lb 8 oz. tent for backpacking. To each there own. There are many different ways to skin a cat.

To the OP, I had great luck with a Big Agnes starting out after college. Link below. It did well for archery season here in CO. I personally wouldn't backpack in with it after archery in CO. I went with my brother a few years ago on a coues deer hunt in November in AZ. I had to leave early for work. He had some snow (see picture) and it had leaked into his 3rd season tent and he had to pack out. A 3rd season tent will work for a ton of situations, but when you have snow things can go wrong.

https://www.rei.com/product/111800/big-agnes-seedhouse-sl2-tent

L6EPwEr.jpg

I have gotten 4 years or so out of an inexpensive Alps Mountaineering Zypher-3 tent. Used it in some truly STUPID conditions and it just wont die or leak. My only complaint is that the wife's Big Agnes 2 man is 1.5 pounds lighter. Of course it costs $200 more if we compare MSRP.
If I was backpacking solo I'd go get the Zypher-2 off of ebay or amazon and be use the crap out of it while I saved pennies for a Hillenburg. I see them as low as $88 on flash sales occasionally.
Brian

Also a +1 for the REI Half Dome. Had one for 5 or 6 years and it was a trooper in everything except for super heavy snow. A little care with campsite selection can mitigate that flaw occasionally.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back